ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

backup question - how much of a risk is fire?

<< < (2/5) > >>

app103:
Fire isn't the only reason for keeping a copy of your data far from your home....theft & flood are 2 more reasons.

What if your entire digital photo collection were stolen or damaged by flood...with all the baby pics of your children? You can't replace that kind of stuff. You can't go back in time and retake those photos.

Anything that would be a bother to replace...or impossible...should be backed up and put in a location far from home. The farther the better, as hurricane Katrina showed that across town at a friend's house wasn't far enough away.

tomos:
I've been wondering what people do in terms of off-site backup -
seems like a good time to ask - been considering one of these online services for just stuff I'm currently working on, which would be manageable.

But if you're backing up a lot of stuff & you say want to get it off the premises daily, what can/do you do?
what are the options??

Crush:
In my own house I would build a brig.

But I have a much cheaper Idea  :D:

Buy a big rain-collector-bin, dig a hole in your garden, pack the copies in plastic bags and heat-seal them, throw them in, cover it with a cap, seal the edges and the outer cap with high velocity grease, turn over a big garbage bag and close it with a slab. To get it more secure you can insert a smaller rain-collector in a bigger one and fill the place between with a mixture of cement and styrofoam particles. Take some bushes to disguise the "safe".

A really good but quite small fireproof safe costs at least 5000$. Someting with the size of the bin about 12000$.

The money you didnĀ“t waste could be used for surveillance-systems and insurances.

nudone:
Crush, i kind of like your idea. i'm just wondering if freezing temperatures would have any detrimental effect on the things inside the bin. i'm sure one or two frosty cold mornings wouldn't be too bad but would it be okay to leave things down there for a winter?

i have no idea what ground temperatures are like below the surface and whether cd/dvds and hard drives would care if they were out in the cold.

reko100:
Thanks, brotherS for editing my title...its much better :Thmbsup:

Hmm, like app103 said i would feel really really depress if all my children pics are gone...

that said, i still feel its a overkill to buy a fireproof safe.

If your stuff is not too confidential, an online solution would be the best...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version