ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

backup question - how much of a risk is fire?

(1/5) > >>

reko100:
This is just a general observation on my part... :)

I am researching for backup options and free software alternatives from True Image and Norton Ghost.
I find out from comments from different forums and articles that people normally save a copy of their software at friends house or in a fireproof safe.

Is fire a common problem at your country?

Where I live, fire concerns is not brought too much to my attention, so i am not worried about it.

Ha, maybe i am too naive... ;)

brotherS:
The important question is not "how likely is it that my house will burn down?" but "how would I feel if it would?" 8)

Shortly before xmas, a friend's house almost caught fire when his neighbor's house burned down to the ground. The neighbor family wasn't able to rescue more than an arm full of stuff...

After that, you only have two options:
- feel depressed for the rest of your life
- be thankful for the 'fresh start' (you can't simplify your life more than THAT!)
;)

mouser:
brotherS has it right.. You are talking about an Expected Utilityw problem here -
the chance of fire is very low, but the damage that would occur to your pc and any backup dvds/usbdrives would be catastrophic.

f0dder:
First: ghost and trueimage aren fine for disk imaging, but not really suitable for backups. Yes, trueimage does have a backup option, but it's not very good imho (I admin ~15 computers one place and purchased TI, and there's regularly problems... like backing up files that haven't changed since last incremental update, task scheduling problems, "weird things" if you cancel a backup etc.)

Anyway, stuff there is first backed up to a linux fileserver, and more-or-less daily, \\server\backup is copied to an external usb2 disk and put away in a burnproof safe (I still think it would be better taking it offsite, but oh well).

For private use, it's bothersome to be "fireproof". Either you need to take an usb disk (or dvd, if you don't have much data) and deposit it at a friend/bank/whatever - obviously it needs to be further away than just "next door". OR you can use one of the online services, but they cost $$$, and considering that most people have very poor upstream, this is only suitable for smaller amounts of data.

Personally, I don't even haven a backup scheme anymore >_<. Moved out on my own ~feb2006, before that I had backups to the server I have running at my mum's place. Haven't had time+money to set up a new server here; and I can't just use any old junk, it'll have to be quiet and power efficient as well as not be too large and ugly (*cough* girlfriend *cough*).

nudone:
i'm starting to panic!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version