Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 20, 2014, 01:19:07 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What New Major Feature is Most Important for you in Find and Run Robot?
Indexing for Faster Search - 28 (57.1%)
Plugin Support for Custom Addins - 17 (34.7%)
Other / Don't Care - 4 (8.2%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What New Major Feature is Most Important for you in Find and Run Robot?  (Read 9442 times)
d4ni
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 06:28:22 PM »

Why indexing? I find the fact you do not index right now great. It's always up to date. Also, it's super fast so I don't really see a reason to implement an index. If you do so, please keep the option to search real-time smiley
TucknDar
Charter Member

Advanced coder of Nowt

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 01:16:02 AM »

Yes, while before I thought indexing was a good idea, I'm not so sure now. FARR is pretty lightning fast, so probably not so important. And now there's plugin support I suppose this poll is pretty outdated
JoTo
Super Honorary
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2008, 01:24:08 AM »

Please go away with Indexing! Never ever implement it in FARR please!

Thx
JoTo
nitrix-ud
Charter Member

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 03:02:01 AM »

yes i agree, indexing IS a good idea but only if optionnal when used in a dosearch command
FARR does work great without it... it's always up to date...

it could also be done with an better integration of locate32 (better that using a plugin)

just my 0.02 euros

cheers, Nitrix
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »

I wouldn't want to see indexing in FARR, but I wouldn't mind better integration with locate32... and those two things are quite different in scope, really. Also, it would be nifty if FARR cached it's results (along with filesystem change notification)... yes, Windows FS Cache does an OK job, but FARR native caching would still be better.

- carpe noctem
Josh
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 05:53:15 AM »

If we are going to use indexing (in any manner), it should be built in. Requiring the install of a third party program to use a feature in the primary program is bad, in my opinion.

Strength in Knowledge
Lashiec

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 05:58:48 AM »

I couldn't care less for indexing, considering that Locate32 is a keystroke away. Unicode support, and a redesign of the preferences screen (tree-based, please) would be welcomed though, right now I have to 'hunt' checkboxes one by one, no good. And some polish here and there.
herojoker
Participant

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 06:18:16 AM »

A redesign of the preferences screen wouldn't even be so difficult:
If you save the configuration with each option formatted like
category.subcategory.subsubcategory.option=value
it's quite simple to build a tree. Another file could hold the actual labels.
Furthermore the program code will become a bit more readable smiley
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 07:13:59 AM »

If we are going to use indexing (in any manner), it should be built in. Requiring the install of a third party program to use a feature in the primary program is bad, in my opinion.
It should be implemented with a plugin, and preferably based on locate32. Why? Because locate32 does a pretty good job, and there's no reason for reinventing the wheel.

But it should be done as a full plugin, the current locate32 plugin which calls locate.exe isn't 100% optimal, and sometimes hangs a bit.

- carpe noctem
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »

Explorer integration maybe? This could make alias creation easier most likely.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.036s | Server load: 0.01 ]