topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:45 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: 3D Stereo Windows  (Read 4913 times)

thefritz_j

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: 3D Stereo Windows
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:48 AM »
It would be cool (maybe useful?) if there was an app that would create two screens from the Windows UI (one for the right eye and one for the left) using the window depth (z order) so that it would be steroscopic when preceieved, with real depth-preception depth. 

It would be cool if the output from  this app could be either a Blue/Red transparet overlay on one monitor (to use Blue/Red 3d glasses on) or output to two seperate monitors (VR glasses?).  (do a search in fickr for Stereophotography, most of these you have to cross your eyes on, but you get the concept.)  Windows has depth information about it's windows allready so the app should have all the information it needs.

I'm thinking the mouse would not sink down when travelling across "lower" windows.

Am I just a nerd or what?  Anyone else think this would be cool? 

thefritz_j

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: 3D Stereo Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 10:19 AM »
   I guess I *am* that much of a nerd! ,

Still, with 3D monitors coming soon (for example "http://www.sharpsystems.com/products/3d/") I'm thinking this isn't too unrealistic,... or perhaps this is too much for a coding snack?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 10:27 AM »
probably too much for a coding snack. and the reality of it is that it wouldn't offer much in the terms of making the system more usable.

it would be a nice effect but the 3d environments you can already get don't really do anything to make the system more usable.

3d isn't going to go anywhere until we see different physical ways of interacting with a computer other than using a mouse and keyboard - that and the data you are working with would require a different way of being manipulated.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Someone I work with showed me a Website that used realistically rendered Flash objects to view page content.
The individual pages were accessed by pulling the drawer handle of a labeled file cabinet, documents were read by opening a file folder pulled from the cabinet or flipping the pages of a book... all Flash objects.
I suppose such an idea could be translated to the desktop, with Flash interfaces to Explorer functions and using touch screens instead of the mouse...

Has anybody seen the site I'm talking about? My co-worker doesn't remember at all what it was.

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 01:45 PM »
Funny ... today I took a 30 Minutes 3D-video and glasses of a new 3D-System from the work home to test it with my wife  :D
You don´t need green/red glasses or some special tv/polarization/parallax-filter. There´s an easier way to get with yellow & extremely deep blue glasses 3D in COLOUR!  :-* -> http://www.colorcode3d.com/

But even if you don´t have 3D-Input you can generate from each normal video a pseudo-3D with nuoptics-glasses http://www.3dglasses...ne.com/pulfrich.html (a quite simple effect ... you only have to take a sunglass over your right eye). This only works with a picture in movement. But the effect is really great with a perfect picture and no "ghosts" of the different views.  :Thmbsup:

It shouldn´t be too hard to create a 3D-view of the screens on a Direct3D layer. I only think updating and tunneling the inputs through the 3D-layer and the original window is not as easy.

thefritz_j

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 01:52 PM »
Right, drawing & rendering to Direct3D is one way.  I was suggesting a simpler method that would simply take each open window and calculate a left and right offset based on the windows depth/Z order.  (You know how when you open lots of windows in ... "Windows", they start to pile on each other right?), and -then- generating either a red/blue/color composite view of the entire screen or two seperate screens.

So I was hoping that this simplified method would be... "snack-able", but, as has been said below it probably goes beyond that.