ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

MOVAVI,avoid this company like the plague

<< < (5/6) > >>

Josh:
I dont have a problem debating Microsoft's policies, however, when every thread that has to do with a company having a morally questionable policy turns into a discussion about Microsoft, Vista, XP, or whatever anti-ms rant-of-the-day happens to be brought on, I get annoyed.

This thread was about another company and their policies, and how upgrades should be handled. However, once again, this has turned into bashing Microsoft and Windows Vista. The comment about certain people was not directed at you f0dder, as you are not the one who started this whole Anti-MS thing, so I apologize if it appeared that way.

Again, I have no problem with debating Microsoft's policies on vista, however, this thread was about another company's upgrade policies, not about vista, its upgrade policies, EULA, or what have you.

f0dder:
The comment about certain people was not directed at you f0dder, as you are not the one who started this whole Anti-MS thing, so I apologize if it appeared that way.
-Josh
--- End quote ---
You don't have to apologize - and it sorta should have been at least partially directed at me, since I jump in every time Vista is mentioned :-[

I understand why even more-or-less loyal windows users are beginning to become annoyed at MS as well :-\ . But you're right, it's a bit annoying it keeps popping up in only tangentially1 related threads.

(1) - is that a valid English expression?

Carol Haynes:
Sorry ... I brought up the VISTA part of the thread unintentionally - I was actually using a VISTA upgrade as an example of company policy. I am really saying it would be unreasonable to expect MS to cough up an upgrade for free when the release of the new version was known about.

Sorry if it sounded like an MS rant - that wasn't my intention. It really followed on from my earlier comment about upgrades in general from any company. If a company releases a planned new version I think it is reasonable that they announce that in advance so that potential purchasers have the choice of buy now or wait for the latest version to be released. I don't think it should really be expected of companies (esp. small ones) to provide free upgrades to major releases unless they choose to offer that as a generous incentive (such as Adobe do).

Josh:
And I agree that they should announce "Hey, we have new version X coming out soon, hold off buying until then unless you need this functionality now, or contact us for an extended trial". However, as app said, if you purchase the program with full knowledge of a company's upgrade policy, then I dont think you can hold them accountable if you purchase version 4.4 today, and tomorrow v5.0 comes out. As app stated, they have no obligation to you to provide you with the upgrade if they've clearly stated their upgrade policy. Obviously the version you're using works well for what you needed, so you arent being harmed by a new version coming out.

Its like purchasing a car, if you go and buy a 2006 model focus in september, then in october they release the 07's, you cant fault ford for your choice to buy at the time you did.

mouser:
i agree with this, iff you have been given fair notice about the new version.

maybe it partly depends on the price of upgrade.

for example, if version 4 costs $100
and version 5 costs $200
and the upgrade from version 4 to 5 is $50

then it may not really matter if they told you ahead of time, since your total cost to get version 5 would be $150, cheaper than if you bought the version 5 directly later.

BUT if  version 4 costs $100
and version 5 costs $200
and the upgrade costs $150

then you just got screwed by buying version 4 a day before version 5 came out.  to me that would be very upseting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version