topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: MOVAVI,avoid this company like the plague  (Read 14674 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MOVAVI,avoid this company like the plague
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:34 AM »
I actually posted a discount code back in December for their software,and chances are,if you bought from them,your already getting hit up for an upgrade fee.

I don't know maybe it's me but i think this is wrong and maybe you can chime in...

Say i purchase a 4.4 of their ConvertMovie application in July,then not even a year later or a 4.5,4.6,4.7,etc
they zip to 5.0.I have to admit to their credit they say "Major Upgrades" will cost a fee.But not even a year
later.I'm sorta lucky,mind you if you bought their suite,that i gave a coupon to  :-[  in December,your already
getting hit for an upgrade fee a month after cause they rounded up their versions 4.0,5.0.

That is shady,and i'm sorry if anyone got burned by this.
Don't be fooled by their professional apparence and thier oh so hey-their-are-humans-behind-this-company blog
(most likely friends of the family)
Put this on your sh*tlist for future reference.
http://movavi.com/

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
Re: MOVAVI,avoid this company like the plague
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:45 PM »
Use Stumbleupon to trash them. Sometimes you can find other's experiences of certain sites that way.

If there's something like this already, someone let me know!
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 07:49 PM by Nighted »

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 09:12 PM »
Trash them why?

I see nothing wrong with jumping from 4.4 to 5.0.  Thier software, their choice.  They didn't scam anyone or do anything underhanded.

Regardless of when they choose to go to the 5.0 version there will be users that had just purchased the software.  Small time software companies can't always provided convienent upgrade paths or discounts on upgrades.

Really, think again about what they really did wrong and don't just slam them because its not the way you would have choosen to do it.

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:49 PM »
I don't mean trash them. Wrong word. But you could use it to share the experience with others. It might whip the company into shape. Look what the "Dell Hell" thing did for Dell customer service.

I think if he just bought the program, he should receive a timely reply and a free upgrade.

I agree also that it's wrong and he's being treated unfairly. Developers should treat those customers like gold that actually PAY for their software, because they work for the people that support them.

I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 11:26 PM »
Well... Renegade runs a series of forums in which you can vent about shitware - be it hardware, software, or support.

www.shitware.net

Very funny reading!

Anyway, I have a number of shareware apps that I've bought that have fairly short (i.e. 15 - 90 day) periods following initial purchase during which a free upgrade will be provided to a major release (if one comes out during that time). I don't have a problem with it EXCEPT I wish these policies were always well explained to prospective purchasers in the form of a blurb on their purchase page. No one can complain if policies are understood beforehand. Problem is, often these kinds of policies are very difficult to find on an application's website.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:54 AM »
Well, if a major version happens to be just bugfixes or the addition of minor features, then I can understand then frustration and would have to agree. But if they actually did some major changes, then I'd have to agree with Veign, even if it happened 5 day after you purchased the app.
- carpe noctem

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 01:30 AM »
Granted 4.4-5.0 and less than half a years worth of service isn't the biggest loss i've encountered.
But if you bought software less than a month ago,then got hit again,no way,hell no.And i don't care
if the programmer is running his outfit out of the garage rubbing two pennies together.

"Their software,their choice." - "I purchased,my beef" 

"Small time software companies can't always provided convienent upgrade paths or discounts on upgrades."

Their profession and hardships make them no better or worse
than my profession(laborer for a landscaping company) and my hardships.Their special how?
My paycheck is effected by the weather and fuel prices,not bandwidth.No Sympathy!
Go ahead and let a company say their crooked (a matter of opinion,i know) But my sympathy
is limited to the handicap and terminally ill.

I'm slighty angered(i cooled down a little,i found this out in the morning) but no one on earth
could convince me of an upgrade after less than a month.Good lord,you pay your utilities you
at least get a month of service.

I intalled the "upgrade",that's how i found all this out,and it was an Major upgrade only by name.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 09:21 AM »
So, explain how a company would ever release a major update to software?  Give away licenses for free to people who just bought it within a year?  Not everyone is MS that can support many versions of the same application.

The company owes you nothing.  You purchased the software for what it was at the time is was bought.  You purchased the software for a chance that minor updates would be released within a year.  That is all.

I used to sell my software the exact same way.  Minor updates and bug fixes were free but a major update was not.  Since I was selling the software so cheap to start with I offered no discount when a major update came out.

This is a very common way of selling software and I could probably find hundreds of ISV that sell this way.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 10:20 AM »
I think the issue isn't so much charging for upgrades as transparency - at least where policies surrounding upgrades/updates are concerned. As I said above, the developer can do as s/he pleases with respect to charging or not and the grace period that they set post-purchase. However, in order to avoid problems with disgruntled customers, these policies need to be crystal clear and clearly posted so that the customer can find them. I find that more often than not these policies are not prominently displayed on a developer's website and it is up to the customer to make enquiries. I accept this is my responsibility but I think that it's in the developer's best interest to make this information as easy to access as possible...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 11:40 AM »
most companies have a policy that if you purchase with X months of a new release you get the new release, regardless of the version.  We've talked about this before.

If i buy a program in january and in february they release a new major version and don't upgrade me for free i would be upset.  Not a good way to make your customers happy.

From my standpoint you should have a nice healthy period within which any purchase gets upgraded for free to new releases.  6 months min, 1 year better.  just my 2 cents.  As a matter of principle i'd probably avoid companies that didnt have such a policy.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 12:27 PM »
Even major companies like MS, Apple, Adobe don't offer free upgrades from version to version - there may be a period of grace (like a free upgrade if you purchase after an imminent release is announced which is what Adobe do - typically 3 months). Most of these companies don't offer major updates to functionality between versions just bugfixes and security patches.

I think it is reasonable to offer a free upgrade (or difference in price if the price changes) when you purchase something less than a month from a new release or else at least have a warning on the website that a new version is coming soon so that people can hold off until the new version appears.

Having said that I don't think there is anything inherently immoral about releasing a new charged for upgrade. What have they really done wrong? You still have the software you purchased - it still works and does the job you bought it for. There is no obligation to purchase the later version. What I would say is that if they release a paid upgrade they have a responsibility to support the previous version with bug and security fixes for a reasonable length of time.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 03:49 PM »
What you are experiencing is one of the forms of 'buyer's regret', where you buy something and then wish you had waited a bit longer to buy it.

Kind of like when you buy a box of cereal and then the next day the store stocks a super bonus size where you get 50% more for the same price and you can't take your purchase back because you already opened the box you bought.

In cases like this you kick yourself...we all do. But we don't usually kick the seller.

You knew the upgrade policy when you bought the software. You knew it wasn't going to be free. That also comes with the understanding that you are accepting the risk that they could release the next version within minutes of your purchase.

OK, it's not a policy that I can say I would do to my customers, if I had any, but they have the right to set their own terms. When you buy, you are saying you accept that.

Like I said...this is a 'kick yourself' situation...not a 'kick the company' one.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 05:14 PM »
at least have a warning on the website that a new version is coming soon so that people can hold off until the new version appears.

i think this is key.  IF they do this - warn you that a new version is imminent and tell you that you are not going to be upgraded if you buy now, then all's fair.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 05:11 AM »
at least have a warning on the website that a new version is coming soon so that people can hold off until the new version appears.

i think this is key.  IF they do this - warn you that a new version is imminent and tell you that you are not going to be upgraded if you buy now, then all's fair.

Quite and that is what the big players do ... eg. once Adobe announce a new release they guarantee a free upgrade to the new version if you 'buy now'. Having said that there are still loads of copies of Windows XP knocking around - hands up all those who think uncle Bill will supply you with a free copy of VISTA if you buy XP now ?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 05:22 AM »
With vista just released, why would he do that? Vista is out, if you purchase XP then that is your choice. Microsoft has made it abundantly clear that Vista is the new OS and Xp is the old. Back when vista was announced, microsoft did in fact start offering the vista "express upgrade" promo through several vendors allowing free license upgrades to respective versions of Vista if you purchased XP or a Windows XP machine prior to Vista's release.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 05:25 AM »
OK you place an order for cheaper XP on Monday at 23.59 - do you expect MS to cough up Vista at 00:00 Tuesday ?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 05:28 AM »
if you placed the order on 29JAN2007 at 23:59, yes, the vendors are doing this. However, if you wait until the day of Vista's release, that is on you.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 05:44 AM »
Who wants that piece of junk anyway.

Especially the upgrades... need to reinstall the OS? Fair, first reinstall XP then reinstall the upgrade. Thanks but no thanks, XP until there's an alternative or no other choice.
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 05:52 AM »
and once again, people turn this into an anti-microsoft thread. Remind me not to participate in any discussion that can turn into an Anti-Microsoft thread. It seems when certain people on DC participate in threads, they always turn anti-microsoft.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 05:55 AM »
Not anti-MS but anti-Vista.

And sorry...
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 06:03 AM »
I dont have a problem debating Microsoft's policies, however, when every thread that has to do with a company having a morally questionable policy turns into a discussion about Microsoft, Vista, XP, or whatever anti-ms rant-of-the-day happens to be brought on, I get annoyed.

This thread was about another company and their policies, and how upgrades should be handled. However, once again, this has turned into bashing Microsoft and Windows Vista. The comment about certain people was not directed at you f0dder, as you are not the one who started this whole Anti-MS thing, so I apologize if it appeared that way.

Again, I have no problem with debating Microsoft's policies on vista, however, this thread was about another company's upgrade policies, not about vista, its upgrade policies, EULA, or what have you.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 06:10 AM »
The comment about certain people was not directed at you f0dder, as you are not the one who started this whole Anti-MS thing, so I apologize if it appeared that way.
-Josh
You don't have to apologize - and it sorta should have been at least partially directed at me, since I jump in every time Vista is mentioned :-[

I understand why even more-or-less loyal windows users are beginning to become annoyed at MS as well :-\ . But you're right, it's a bit annoying it keeps popping up in only tangentially1 related threads.

(1) - is that a valid English expression?
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 06:31 AM »
Sorry ... I brought up the VISTA part of the thread unintentionally - I was actually using a VISTA upgrade as an example of company policy. I am really saying it would be unreasonable to expect MS to cough up an upgrade for free when the release of the new version was known about.

Sorry if it sounded like an MS rant - that wasn't my intention. It really followed on from my earlier comment about upgrades in general from any company. If a company releases a planned new version I think it is reasonable that they announce that in advance so that potential purchasers have the choice of buy now or wait for the latest version to be released. I don't think it should really be expected of companies (esp. small ones) to provide free upgrades to major releases unless they choose to offer that as a generous incentive (such as Adobe do).

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 07:14 AM »
And I agree that they should announce "Hey, we have new version X coming out soon, hold off buying until then unless you need this functionality now, or contact us for an extended trial". However, as app said, if you purchase the program with full knowledge of a company's upgrade policy, then I dont think you can hold them accountable if you purchase version 4.4 today, and tomorrow v5.0 comes out. As app stated, they have no obligation to you to provide you with the upgrade if they've clearly stated their upgrade policy. Obviously the version you're using works well for what you needed, so you arent being harmed by a new version coming out.

Its like purchasing a car, if you go and buy a 2006 model focus in september, then in october they release the 07's, you cant fault ford for your choice to buy at the time you did.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 08:02 AM »
i agree with this, iff you have been given fair notice about the new version.

maybe it partly depends on the price of upgrade.

for example, if version 4 costs $100
and version 5 costs $200
and the upgrade from version 4 to 5 is $50

then it may not really matter if they told you ahead of time, since your total cost to get version 5 would be $150, cheaper than if you bought the version 5 directly later.

BUT if  version 4 costs $100
and version 5 costs $200
and the upgrade costs $150

then you just got screwed by buying version 4 a day before version 5 came out.  to me that would be very upseting.