topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Educational Videos on JavaScript from Yahoo  (Read 4574 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Educational Videos on JavaScript from Yahoo
« on: January 28, 2007, 07:10 AM »
If you are thinking about getting started with JavaScript programming, there are a series of videos of presentations made at Yahoo. The ones by Douglas Crockford will give you a good overview of JavaScript and then watch the one about Firebug when you are ready to start coding yourself. Firebug is an awesome tool and another fine example of free software being the best of breed.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Educational Videos on JavaScript from Yahoo
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:29 AM »
Today Jeff Atwood, on his Coding Horror blog posted about Javascript and mentioned these same videos. I again urge you to watch them if you are seriously thinking about learning Javascript. These videos are long, they are just like college lectures, but if you devote an afternoon to them you will have a very good base upon which to start your exploration of Javascript.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Educational Videos on JavaScript from Yahoo
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 04:15 AM »
Thanks for posting these -- I have watched part of the first video and have been finding it to be helpful so far.  I've learned about some (alleged?) no-nos and have started to go through the (luckily still) small pile of code I'm amassing trying to fix some of these (e.g. don't start identifier names w/ _ because although it's legal, this might cause problems later, and gotchas w/ the return values of && and ||).

FWIW, another resource I have found very helpful JavaScript-wise is A re-introduction to JavaScript, which appears to allude to Douglas Crockford right near its beginning.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:10 AM by ewemoa »