ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

1.3 GB deleted, but not deleted, so where are they?

(1/3) > >>

Curt:
I was curious, and ran Photorec_win, in order to restore some files. But to my surprise it stopped after 15% and said I had no more free disk space - (I was not yet aware that Photorec must restore to another partition / disk only) - it had already restored 1.3 GB!! I inspected the restored files, and deleted the lot, but Win2K ran out of air and somehow didn't perform the delete process the right way, because even though the 1.3 GB has been removed from the folder and from the bin, they are still 'somewhere' around, and is strangeling my PC, because I have no free  space left.

Any idea as to where these 1.3 GB might be, and how to delete them (again)??
 :tellme:

Crush:
Perhaps your cluster-tables are not cleaned the right way.
Open a dosbox and type chkdsk c: /F (or the drive where you had the files) type Y(es) asks you to check the volume at a new system restart.
Then restart your computer and let chkdsk do its job.
After this the clusters should be free again. Otherwise the files have NOT been deleted (perhaps moved?)

A good restore-program should tell or at least warn you to use another drive. It could be that a lot of the files are destroyed now.

Curt:
Perhaps your cluster-tables are not cleaned the right way.
Open a dosbox and type chkdsk c: /F (or the drive where you had the files) type Y(es) asks you to check the volume at a new system restart.
Then restart your computer and let chkdsk do its job.
After this the clusters should be free again. Otherwise the files have NOT been deleted (perhaps moved?)
-Crush (January 27, 2007, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I did so, but the results seemed to be okay - and nothing has changed.

I have searched the PC and cannot find any folders this big.  :tellme:

Crush:
Then search for filenames that have been modified at the specified time. The explorer is not good enough - it only let you select the day. Try another explorer-replacement that can search for hours and minutes.

Curt:
I found a video file that somehow had grown from 10 MB to 1.38 GB, so now the problem has been solved.

Thanks a lot for your help!  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version