ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hard Drive File System Questions

(1/3) > >>

app103:
I have a 400 gig hard drive that I created 6 partitions on.

The first 4 are formatted FAT32 and are about 60 gigs each.

The 5th is about 60 gigs too

The 6th is about 80 gigs.

When formatting the partitions, I was given a FAT32 option on the first 4 but not the 5th or 6th....only options were NTFS or ext3. (Partition Magic)

I wanted to make the whole thing FAT32 just in case there should be a reason why I might have to put this hard drive into my other pc for any reason...like if this pc dies. (other pc is 9x)

I didn't select a file system for the last 2 partitions because I wasn't sure what to do.

Windows XP says the file system is RAW on those last 2 partitions.

I have read & write access to those 2 partitions in XP even though the file system is RAW.

What I want to know is this:

* Is it ok to leave it like this or should I format those last 2 as NTFS?

* Can 9x access the files if I leave it RAW?

* What would be the negative effects of leaving it the way it is now?

* Is it safe to put files on it while it's RAW? Am I risking data loss?

f0dder:
Hrm, if the partitions are "RAW", you shouldn't be able to access them as drives - otherwise something is horribly messed up. Wouldn't be surprised if partitionmagic has messed something up, to be honest.

app103:
Well here is what I am looking at:

In Explorer:

Properties of S:

Properties of T:

Partition Magic:

(it didn't say it was FAT32 last time I checked it, but now it does)

f0dder:
That sounds preeeeety fucked up. Run compmgmt.msc and see what it thinks the partition layout is like. I do not trust partition magic; it usually seems to work flawlessly, but when it fucks up, it fucks up bigtime.

app103:
That sounds preeeeety fucked up. Run compmgmt.msc and see what it thinks the partition layout is like. I do not trust partition magic; it usually seems to work flawlessly, but when it fucks up, it fucks up bigtime.
-f0dder (January 27, 2007, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok...did that...

It says it's FAT32:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version