topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "intelligent" multisession burn  (Read 4525 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"intelligent" multisession burn
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:55 AM »
You know the way with synch software you get the choice to
delete files in destination directory that dont exist in source -
or not  :D

SOURCE:
file_A
file_D

DEST:
file_B

so you'd have the option to end up with all three files in Dest - i.e. file_B would NOT be removed from destination.

I'm not familiar with much burning software,
but basic multisession burning software does not allow this.

Does anyone know of software that does?
(here I say a prayer that it wont involve installing a bloated NERO - that's kindof an apt name when you think of the excesses of the original ..  :) )
Tom

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "intelligent" multisession burn
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 02:08 PM »
Are you saying that you're burning a CD/DVD in multi-session mode:  the first time you burn file_B (so that's what's in session 1), and the second time you burn files "file_A" and "file_D" for session #2?

If that's the case, every time I've tried this, the burning software defaults to 'importing' session 1 into session 2 so that file_B is still accessible (even though it's not re-burned).  It's been a while since I've done multi-session burns, but I'm certain that Nero behaved this way.

Also, even if the previous session is not imported into a subsequent session, you can get to the older sessions in Nero by using the 'Save Tracks' feature to save previous sessions to an ISO or NRG file that can be mounted to a virtual CD drive (Neros' ImageDrive for example).  I'm sure there are other utilities (ISOBuster?) that let you get access to previous sessions more easily.

Since you don't like Nero, CdBurnerXP Pro (http://www.cdburnerxp.se/) is pretty good free burning software that handles importing sessions.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 02:48 PM by mwb1100 »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "intelligent" multisession burn
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 05:00 PM »
thanks mwb, I'll have a look at that.
Tom