ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

cost of running a pc (in the UK)?

<< < (8/10) > >>

f0dder:
If you have a 17" CRT or a 19" which you dont use at high res, buying an LCD screen (around£100 nowadays in the UK, cheaper in the US) probably pays for itself in a year. At least in a country where energy prices aren't heavily subsidised. If you want 1600 res the screens cost a bundle more, and I suspect they also consume a bit more so the savings in energy probably can't justify buying one.
-iphigenie
--- End quote ---
Power savings might not be able to justify it (though I still be it'll be using less than most CRT monitors), but the much smaller amount of eyestrain that a TFT gives will be worth every last penny.

iphigenie:
Does it really give less eyestrain? I'm really curious about that. As you say that's another great argument if there is a real physical difference (rather than the psychological my-screen-suits-me-just-right, which is real but can happen on any kind of screen)

I have trouble working on certain TFT screens, they often feel very fuzzy and/or dim and i feel i must strain more to read text. I must say that the screen that laptop had was one of the best I have ever worked with, it was crisp and well contrasted and fast enough for games, but most screens I have seen in shops and businesses aren't anywhere near as nice. Of course neither are many of the CRTs.  :-[

iphigenie:

PS: hey, there's a trout smiley! can i borrow it for my guild's forum? We're smiley bulimic with ongoing fish jokes

(http://www.phoenix-guild.net/ 6 fish related smileys. but no troutslap one!)

nudone:
i used to warn people away from using LCDs and would always recommend a CRT instead - providing it was a decent CRT. that was a few years ago - now i do the reverse.

nowadays, from what i've seen, even cheap LCDs seem easier on the eyes than a good CRT. i admit i've worked on a cheapo LCD and it was pretty horrible - very low contrast and, well, very low everything really. but it was a couple of years old, i think even the current low end LCDs are okay now - if you aren't too demanding.

we've talked about it before on the forum and i know all about eyestrain from staring at a CRT all day long - that's a high quality CRT with high res, etc. i haven't had any such problems since switching to an LCD.

if you get an LCD with good contrast, i.e. strong whites and blacks and run it at its native resolution then i think you'll be glad to get rid of the CRT.

Carol Haynes:
I have just taken the plunge into LCD and am really impressed.

The one I bought was on special offer (in the UK) at http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?QuickLinx=437X

It is SOOOOO much better than my iiyama CRT display (which was good in its day) and I am seriously thinking of buying a second while they are at that price!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version