ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

cost of running a pc (in the UK)?

(1/10) > >>

nudone:
i'm sure i've asked this question before (i can't find any evidence on the forum though) about the cost of running a computer. i can't remember the answer so i have to ask again.

any ideas what the typical cost of running a computer is - doesn't have to be precise, just a good idea.

if it helps i'll describe the machine: 600w psu, amd 4800, 4 hard drives, geforce 7, several fans, audigy, 24" Lcd, adsl router.

i'm sure there was a webpage that allowed you to put the details in and it worked out the cost for you but i can't find it.

(i think f0dder may have answered this last time - maybe i dreamt it all - i think i might have even said "maybe i dreamt it all" last time too. hello, hello, am still asleep?)

mouser:
It's a good question, i'm sort of curious as well.
There are probably some power consumption charts on the web that you could combine with your electric company rates to get an estimate.

f0dder:
I wish I knew :)

I found some rough power usage estimates, and for running a low-power server (using one of the low-power chips from AMD or Intel), I think it ended up at roughly £10/month here in .dk - but our power prices are probably different, and the power usage ratings might not be precise.

Should probably borrow a power rate meter thingy and check how much my own box uses.

Perry Mowbray:
Should probably borrow a power rate meter thingy and check how much my own box uses.
-f0dder (January 27, 2007, 08:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

I believe that this is the only "accurate" way to measure such things; it's something that I've been meaning to do for a while...

- Perry

nudone:
thanks for the replies. heaven knows where i thought i got the answer from before if no one seems to know much about it.

the power meter thing is something i once tried (borrowed one from a friend). just plug into into the electrical mains socket and the computer and read the meter - the problem was i couldn't understand the meter.

there have been several articles about computer power consumption in one of the UK pc magazines - they were talking about the environmental impact mainly - but i still can't find the webpage i've seen that allows you to input your pc details and then get a power (or wattage) score.

if i find anything i'll report back here as it sounds like it will be useful to others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version