ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review: Altiris SVS

<< < (2/5) > >>

Crush:
Perhaps installing critical programs in an own layer could solve some compatibility-problems...
I would give SVS in it´s actual state 4 of 5 points for the great idea. In the next Version a lot of comp.-probs should be solved and the layers will become faster and more stable. Some of the additional Downloads from the community give you access at deep internals of the program. These can also help to get more out of it.
Besides, SVS creates a folder fslrdr on drive c: that holds all information and data of the layers. I don´t like it to have a very big system drive, because the hd-backups of it grows too much with the installations. My hint: you can change this place to somewhere else if you change the path in the registry! Search for "c:\fslrdr" and change it everywhere to the new position. Don´t forget to move the folder to its new place if you already created some layers.

Hmmm. I found something that also could solve the problematically progs: Insert the path of the program and its filename to the entry "ProgramIgnoreList". I´ll also test this way. The key is in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Altiris\FSL.

.... a few minutes later ...

;D Yep, it worked with the Ignore list  ;D
in this list were two other virus killers preconfigured - perhaps similar working programs should be added here like SandBoxie, Tiny Firewall (I like this one!) or others with Sandbox and realtime scanning functions.

nevf:
cthorpe, a very good review. It would have been good if your screen cast went on to show the layer being deactivated and activated. A small quibble though.

I tried SVS a month or so back and found the UI very unhelpful and unintuitive and in the end gave up. I should give it another shot. It certainly seems like a great way for people to evaluate software without their PC being modified in any way. I'm sure this is the main reason why so many people have problems with Windows, because they install so much crap and uninstalling doesn't always remove everything. I use VMWare Workstation for this and for testing my own software and it is invaluable.

There is a lot happening with virtualization right now and interesting times lay ahead. I've recently written a lengthy article XEN and the art of Virtualization about XenServer which DC readers might find of interest.

nevf:
I forget to mention that I've also written about MojoPac. See: MojoPac - Potentially Great Software with Serious Flaws

Read their Forums before you think about purchasing.

Can someone please post a link to the Altiris Beta Release. I've looked high and low and can't find it.

f0dder:
Symantec to aquire Altiris in second quarter 2007

--- End quote ---
:( :mad: :wallbash:  :rip:

Where's the R.I.P smiley? - thanks, mouser <3

Lashiec:
Symantec... not again >:(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version