ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Humanized Enzo

<< < (5/7) > >>

nudone:
yep, you keep it held down whilst typing - which i have to say is one of the worst ideas i can think off.

but, of course, it depends how you use the keyboard. i do use the caps lock key for typing caps, i don't really understand why people often say that the caps lock key is superfluous.

anyhow, i tried enzo and just found the holding caps lock down a really dumb method of doing things.

Darwin:
Hmm... this is what has kept me from even considering trying it (along with other niggling factors like the price...) - I use the CAPS lock often and can't imagine why a developer would consider coopting it for another purpose, particularly as, if I understand correctly, there is no option for changing the trigger to one of the user's choice. I can understand the attractiveness of a single key trigger in comparison to Active Words or Nagarsoft's Direct Access because presumably it is ligher on resources - AW and DA have to monitor all keyboard activity looking for trigger words while Enzo only has to watch for the CAPS key trigger. Still, I think it an odd choice. Why not just go with convention and use ALT or CTRL-SPACEBAR as a trigger, type your word/phrase or whaterever and then ENTER or some other key or sequence of keys to execute the command? Really, using the CAPS key seems a bit twee - an attempt to be overly clever and "different" - and I fully expect to see it dropped, or at least the option to change it made available, imminently...

nontroppo:
Hm, I never have to write ALL CAPS for long, and actually, holding shift with my pinky does that without wasting time when forgetting CAPS LOCK is triggered, writing stuff then having to change it.

A single key is a really neat idea IMO (though they should allow users more options). I can hold CAPS LOCK with my pinky and hammer away really fast - no need to hit enter just lift the pinky!!! The problem is not the trigger key - the problem is that the launcher heuristics just plain suck. It has failed to index many of my programs so is useless - and has bugs just about everywhere on my machine. I would actually like an option for FARR (and quicksilver) that could trigger using this method. Mouser?

BUT lets not get distracted by trigger keys - what enso (in theory) and quicksilver offer that is really wonderful is a unified interface to do stuff using a subject -> verb -> object concept - it is what we have struggled with in discussions here about doing stuff with the subject in FARR. I find a file, and want to mail it to someone. Or move it somewhere. Or open it in something other than the dafault app, or append some text to it, or copy its content to the clipboard, or...

What I really want for FARR 3 (apart from faster searching), is this. It is the philosophy that a lancher can step beyond the subject. Currently in FARR we have to pull the mouse over and right-click to open an OS context menu which only has limited options.

mouser:
i agree lets not get hung up over the caps lock junk.
im more interested in exactly what nontroppor says:
a unified interface to do stuff using a subject -> verb -> object concept - it is what we have struggled with in discussions here about doing stuff with the subject in FARR. I find a file, and want to mail it to someone. Or move it somewhere. Or open it in something other than the dafault app, or append some text to it, or copy its content to the clipboard, or...
--- End quote ---

as you know i've added simple actions using keyword modifiers but its not the unified interface weve discussed for version 3. 

i must admit though that i've had a hard time thinking of many real world cases where the simple single-action modifiers i recently added dont handle the problem, albeit inelegantly.  i welcome more thoughts but maybe we should do it on another thread?

Darwin:
OK agreed let's put a cap on discussing CAPS  :D

I agree with nontroppo about the desireability of gaining Quicksilver's functionality under Windows. Note that, as I've stated in the past, I've never actually played with Quicksilver and don't even know anyone that has it installed. Anway, I guess I didn't read the Enzo hype, er, marketing closely enough to "get" that it is meant to be analogous to Quicksilver on the windows platform. Perhaps I should give it a blast afterall (quibbles about that which we will no longer obsess about aside). Actually, if I wasn't so stingy, I'd upgrade my iBook to OSX 10.3.x and play with Quicksilver to see what all the fuss is about (Quicksilver won't run under 10.2.x)!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version