ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WIndows Vista Ultimate ... worth upgrading ... CNET say no!

<< < (6/11) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Another couple of interesting articles from PC Magazine:

Vista's Nine Most Annoying Features

This OS is good, but it's not perfect. Here's some stuff I wish Microsoft had done differently.

By Lance Ulanoff
Windows Vista

Microsoft Windows Vista is gonna be with us for a long time. It's a fine operating system, so that's good news. Still, riding shotgun with all of Vista's charms are its many little annoyances. Here are nine that stick in my craw.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2088329,00.asp
--- End quote ---

and

The Vista Era Begins

It's got a few new features, but is it actually more functional than what we've had before? Such is the plight of the modern-day OS.   

By John C. Dvorak

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2088472,00.asp
--- End quote ---

sunsound:
 hope vista goes the way of millennium - the only people who use it are those that get lumbered with it when buying a new machine. like xp followed millennium, i hope that the NEXT ms operating system after vista will be actually worth buying/using.

Nudone...2000 followed ME..then along came XP using 2000's core.
Regardless...I'm not 'upgrading' ( ;D?) to Vista until SP2 YES Service Pack T W O comes out!  I was a beta tester and it reminded me of just how 'buggy' ME really was!!!
Oh..and Media Center Edition:  Just a comment....I may be wrong here, but I truly believe that BillyBoy is trying his best to get the PC into the consumer's living room!!  I'm an 'ordinary' user of an 'ordinary' PC.  I DO NOT want to tie my phone, TV, entertainment center, etc etc etc to my PC!!!  The only thing that even comes close to 'entertainment' that I do with my PC is record and edit my music collection...which is comprised mainly of the '60's - '70's 'Oldies' off vinyl.  Media Center edtion even put the hurt on me with THAT!!!  I would have to purchase a Mobo with Realtek AC97 to be able to edit (emulation) my music.  I know for a fact that AC97 is slowly dying and 99% of PC's sold today do not have an intergrated AC97 chipset onboard.  I'd say this is because of...you guessed it...'entertainment' in the living room!  PRESET effects that won't let you adjust the sounds that (in my opinion) people are too lazy to adjust themselves.
One more scary thought:  Since M$ OWNS your copy of XP...and the worst scenario is that not enuff people are 'upgrading' to F&&^% Vista...might they just drop support fo XP and FORCE everyone to 'upgrade'??  I honestly don't think that their 2014 date is a reality!!

nudone:
sunsound, i have to admit i really can't remember which came first so i thought i would just check up.

according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Microsoft_Windows they put February 17, 2000 for Windows 2000 and September 14, 2000 for Windows Me on their timeline which means ME followed win2k. i wouldn't be surprised if they had different release dates in different parts of the world so maybe you are correct where you are.

at the time i just seem to remember thinking, why have microsoft released something like millennium when win2k was out - and better. i was kind of dismayed that people were rushing to get millennium when they could have gone for win2k - but then the hype machine wasn't telling them to get win2k.

f0dder:
Win2k was actually supposed to be the death-blow to the sucky win9x line... but no, for whatever retarded reason. The only real reason I can think of is that, back then, people weren't as willing to buy a new computer just for an OS as they are today, and Microsoft wanted to milk those win9x customers a bit more that didn't have machines that could run Win2k.

nudone:
was it that bad? i didn't realise win2k wouldn't run on many older machines. i've got it running on a pentium 2 laptop with 128meg which is kind of borderline annoying but pentium 3's seem okay. how all this nostalgia takes you back - incredible.

i can't remember what machines were like around win2k's release, was it still common to use 486's and pentiums?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version