ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

WIndows Vista Ultimate ... worth upgrading ... CNET say no!

(1/11) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Interesting article and video intro from CNET at

http://reviews.cnet.com/Windows_Vista_Ultimate/4505-3672_7-32013603.html?tag=nl.e501

I have to say what they conclude seems pretty much like common sense to me - Vista isn't finished and lots of functions won't work properly until SP1 is released for it late 2007. Add to that there seems to be little added over Windows XP other than DX10 and a surface gloss.

Given the potential performance hit on existing hardware (or the cost of upgrading hardware) is it worth upgrading? Personally I agree with CNET and I won't be any time soon.

What do you think ...

[edited to attach image for blogging]
WIndows Vista Ultimate ... worth upgrading ... CNET say no!

nudone:
i wanted to upgrade to get that nice black user interface but now i'm using the 'royal - noir' scheme by miscrosoft on my xp system - so i've absolutely no reason to use vista now. yep, that's it, i can't see any other reason to use vista at the moment.

i hope vista goes the way of millennium - the only people who use it are those that get lumbered with it when buying a new machine. like xp followed millennium, i hope that the NEXT ms operating system after vista will be actually worth buying/using.

Ruffnekk:
I get the feeling Microsoft is putting too much time into integrating multimedia and eye candy into their OS. I already concluded some weeks ago that it wasn't worth the effort to upgrade now. Looking at this list of 10 reasons to upgrade to Windows Vista I could not be convinced.

Maybe in 2008 when it has matured a bit more I will review my opinion, but for now I'm happy [pun]as can be[/pun] with Windows XP Pro.

Carol Haynes:
Let's have a look at the 10 reasons list ...

1. Higher Level of Safety and Security
2. Improved Responsiveness
3. Improved Performance
4. Reliability
5. Enhanced Accessibility
6. The New User Interface, better organization and ease of use
7. The Windows Aero Interface
8. Easier Search and Organization
9. Improvements in the Networking Technology
10. Windows Movie Maker and Windows DVD Maker

I seem to remember that 1-5 were touted as the reason for upgrading to Windows XP - has Windows XP suddenly expired in all these areas. The facts remained that (1) will be compromised in Vista in exactly the same way it already is in XP and require endless patches, (2) & (3) proved illusory in Windows XP and certainly from beta/RC trials Vista seems to decrease in these areas rather than increase! (4) Windows XP was the 'most reliable OS ever' - has it suddenly had a change of heart ?

(6) & (7) yeah right - resource hogs both and almost everyone that has tried Vista agrees that the it certainly isn't better organised and easier to use - generally you are on a real mission to find any of the settings in Vista and when you do find the one you are looking for you seem to have to look for other bits and pieces hidden in obscure and unrelated corners (wireless networking that doesn't install during start up is a case in point).

(9) maybe true (don't know) but if your network already works properly in XP why would this be a deciding factor?

(10) Yeah right - just like Windows Movie Maker in XP - that was a real big winner wasn't it? You can bet your life if they were about to include something half decent they would be back in court before you could even say anti-trust.

The other reasons apparently  touted are IE 7 and WMP 11 - well whoopdy-do you can already have these in XP so why do you need Vista ?

Ruffnekk:
You could not have put *my thoughts* on screen any better than that Carol. Exactly why I decided Vista is a bit of a hoax.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version