ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review of FirstDefense-ISR UPDATED as of 4/10/09

<< < (5/7) > >>

cranioscopical:
cthorpe:  It's too bad that you can't get a discount from them.  Don't know how I managed it when I did.  Must have gotten the right rep on the phone.
--- End quote ---
Persistence counts.  I tried again -- different person -- and they were generous enough to provide a 25%-off code.
I'll probably take advantage of your batch material once I see how FD-ISR behaves.
Thanks again for the recommendation, review, and batch tricks.

AdIyhc:
Hi Guys,

Received a newsletter from Raxco. There's a 20% discount code for PerfectDisk But it works for FD-ISR too.
Here it is:
Q1ENL2007

Expiry Date:
16 March '07

Hope this can help. Enjoy :D

urlwolf:
Update: in June 2006, Rollback Rx was buggy as hell:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136952&highlight=rollback+firstdefense

Those problems seems to be gone.

And it seems that version 8, to be released march 2007, will be really nice.

The only reason I wanted to avoid FDISR is that it takes forever to create a new image, and I want to recover fast from a bad install. For that, RB rx seemed better suited.

However, I found this method to use FDISR as an 'bombproof uninstaller' (from http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=915235&postcount=4):
I have pared down to a simple setup. I do a lot of imaging in conjunction with FDISR. Also I am a single partition person. My objective was first ability to recover or undo an install. Speed of both FDISR and imaging is very important. Speed for imaging, implies keeping the drive space minimized.
Also I don't care about going back to yesterday, the day before, etc. So....

On my c: drive I have my Primary which of course has everything I run. Then I have a secondary which is a stripped All it contains is Windows, and enough to feel safe online. It's only purpose is to provide a bootable snapshot.

I also keep an Archive on my primary, both on my second internal drive, and one on my external drive. These are update frequently. Update time is around a minute. I also keep an archive of the secondary snapshot

So if I want to test a program, I first update my archive, and then install in the Primary. If I don't like it I boot to my secondary and update my primary from the archive. I

This setup also means that even if I have to restore from the image I took when I bought the system(which has FDISR), I can load the secondary from the archive, boot to it, and the bring the primary update from the archive.

I have thoroughly tested this approach and it works beautifully. Also if i want I can keep several different configurations in archives and switch back and forth easily.

Pete

--- End quote ---

So I'm going to go with FD I think.

urlwolf:
I tried to buy FD from Spain.
When the form came up, the price $69 had magically increased to euro 69. Plus 16% VAT, of course.

This is insulting. Do they think that people will miss the small detail that a dolar is .75 euro?
http://www.x-rates.com/d/EUR/USD/graph120.html

do the magically increase the price for European customers 25%?
I think they won't get my business. I wrote to their support, and they didn't answer. I find this pricing policy morally repugnant. We are talking about software, not a physical good that has to be shipped.

If you find any other company doing this, please report it. Thanks.

cthorpe:
That's odd... I'm seeing €51.03

Carl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version