ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Favorite ZIP/RAR application?

<< < (7/24) > >>

Lashiec:
Another vote for WinRAR here, it's simply the best compression app ever made.

BTW, lanux, you could give the passport to better lands to SpinZip, as WinRAR has the same ability. When you're going to compress something, go to the "Files" tab and check "Put each file to separate archive". Pretty useful feature for those long ROM zipping sessions ;D. Although I don't know if it's capable of doing what sri was asking for in that thread :huh:

Renegade:
Well, my favorite archiver can be found here. But you probably saw that coming! :D

And on the topic there, I won a little victory today and finally got some good attention for the command line functionality for ALZip. A couple more little tweaks and it will truly be server ready. I'm pretty anal about things, so I don't just say that lightly.

Just in case anyone wants a sneak preview of what's in store for the ALZip v7.0 release next week, I've got a little video of some of the new functionality  - the ALZip Speed Extractor. It's quite unusual, but very useful and extremely fast.

steeladept:
YES, YES, YES....

I am just getting into serious server usage now, and I have used AlZip for quite a while now.  LOVE IT!

WinZip and WinRar just don't do it for me for the cost vs. usage.  Maybe that is just me.  The only thing WinRar can do that AlZip can not is create RAR files, but then nothing else can.  However, AlZip can extract MANY more formats than WinRar from what I have seen and the ALZ format seems to work as good or better than RAR for personal useage.  Support for self-extracting files is great and easier for me to use than either WinZip or WinRar, and it is the same SFX format WinRar uses.  I don't see where I can go wrong choosing AlZip over WinRar, and unlike Renegade, I don't work for them or get any compensation.

Enough extolling its virtues.

jgpaiva:
Same here, steeladept.
I've been using AlZip for about a week, and i'm finding it to be better than both 7zip and winrar. (although i have to admit that i first changed because i didn't like the "buy me" message of winrar)

Also, i'm eager to see how will that ALZip Speed Extractor work, it does look like a grand idea.

Renegade: may i make a suggestion regarding that? There's a basic problem with it. As i never know how the inside of the archive is before i open it, i'd never use the "extract here on double click" function, which is the most interesting feature.
BUT, if there was some safety about it, like "if there's more than one file on the base dir, extract to here/ArchiveName", oh man that'd be perfect :D

Renegade:
Same here, steeladept.
I've been using AlZip for about a week, and i'm finding it to be better than both 7zip and winrar. (although i have to admit that i first changed because i didn't like the "buy me" message of winrar)

Also, i'm eager to see how will that ALZip Speed Extractor work, it does look like a grand idea.

Renegade: may i make a suggestion regarding that? There's a basic problem with it. As i never know how the inside of the archive is before i open it, i'd never use the "extract here on double click" function, which is the most interesting feature.
BUT, if there was some safety about it, like "if there's more than one file on the base dir, extract to here/ArchiveName", oh man that'd be perfect :D
-jgpaiva (July 27, 2007, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's already in there — the options are always paired like this:

1) FOLDER
2) FOLDER / ARCHIVE FILE NAME

So you can set the extraction to something like:

Desktop
Desktop/Filename

To extract to the desktop or to a named folder on the desktop. Of course you can also set your own custom folder as well. So the folder pairs would then be:

Some User Folder
Some User Folder/Filename

When you have ALZip configured to extract files immediately, if a folder already exists, then ALZip simply creates a new one like "filename(1)" or "filename(2)"... That's so that you don't get prompted with an overwrite message. The whole thing is supposed to be able speed after all!

It really is very fast. And it works inside of other applications other than Windows Explorer as well. e.g. When I download a ZIP file inside of Opera, when I double-click on the file in the Opera Transfer window, I still get the context menu displayed.

If you like to work fast... This is really something that you should check out next week when I release it. I'll make sure to post back here in the "Announce Your Software" forum.

And it's great to hear that some people here are using ALZip! Your support is greatly appreciated! Thank-you! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version