ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Favorite ZIP/RAR application?

<< < (19/24) > >>

wr975:
I tried the same, and I think their shop system is bugged.

Using an Austrian IP I get:
WinRAR € 29,95
19% VAT € 5,69
Total € 35,64   ($ 50.38)

Using an IP from USA I get (Country Austria selected)
WinRAR € 21,83   ($ 29)
19% VAT € 4,15   ($ 5.51)
Total € 25,98   ($ 34.51)

So, a different IP saves you 10 Euros? Stupid.

Guess best is to ask someone in USA to order it and you pay this person via Paypal. Then it costs € 21,83 ($29) only. I'm not sure charging VAT is okay here, since they're not shipping anything. If you want a different IP, try CyberGhost VPN (coupon code "quale157" gives you one year for free (untested))

Edit: Attached two screenshots

Edit 2: Asked Winrar about it... here's the answer:

We have different pricing strategy for different markets. Such price
differences are very common in daily business (e.g. the computer
equipment or jeans that are cheaper in US, the digital camera bought in
Asia...). That's the way things are. Markets differ and so do prices.
--- End quote ---

Well, I really like WinRAR, but this sound stupid. It's a software licence sent by email, no camera or jeans. Oh well, I'm glad I registered it years ago.

40hz:
For all the other WinRAR customers, who have purchased a regular license (even if the purchase has been made in 2005 or 2003 for example), we still offer free upgrades and updates. There are no indications that this policy will change in the near future.-WinRAR
--- End quote ---
Clear enough!
-Darwin (March 14, 2011, 10:38 AM)
--- End quote ---
...let's just hope they stick with that for a long time :)
-f0dder (March 14, 2011, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

One would hope.

I spoke with an attorney recently about all these 'policy' changes where software developers are backing out of their former 'lifetime' license agreements by either changing the product's name, or simply announcing (with a suitable amount of handwringing) that they've decided to no longer honor their previous terms.

He said if the software user was legally bound by the terms of the license at the time of installation, such an after the fact policy change to the license terms could be construed as a breach of contract and could also risk running afoul of antifraud statutes. At least in the USA.

He also said the business justifications that are offered for backing out of "lifetime free upgrades" agreement have no legal relevance. If you enter into a contract, you are bound by what both parties agreed to, even if your situation changes down the road.

The only way out of that is to either offer a new set of terms BOTH parties agree to - or refund the buyer's original purchase price.

Moral: stand by your word or have your checkbook ready. And think twice about what you offer.  :'(

MerleOne:
I personnaly use winrar since a long time ago, for many reasons, including the quite unique recovery feature that saved me once.  On top of that, I also use OCB (one click backup) which is a clever GUI over winrar GUI.  There is a free version that is very usable of OCB, the pro is currently discounted.  The main advantage of OCB is the management of various profiles (sets of files to be archive, where, how, etc.).

The only drawback of winrar occurs when I have to use a PC where it is not installed, and there is no "official" portable version.

Curt:

We have different pricing strategy for different markets. ...
--- End quote ---
-wr975 (March 18, 2011, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

-thanks for asking!  :up:

What goes for their answer, well, someone is in total agreement!

johnk:

We have different pricing strategy for different markets. ...
--- End quote ---
-wr975 (March 18, 2011, 08:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

-thanks for asking!  :up:

What goes for their answer, well, someone is in total agreement!  (see attachment in previous post)

-Curt (March 18, 2011, 11:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, WinRar does not even an attempt to justify the price difference in cost terms (companies normally say something like "cost of localisation" (adding a few language files!).

I tried WinRar, and it's an impressive product, and probably worth the money. But I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it, just because of their idiotic pricing policy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version