ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Favorite ZIP/RAR application?

<< < (14/24) > >>

f0dder:
Jibz: on win-rar.com perhaps, but not rarlabs.com which I've always used.

Yep, does seem like they might want to pull the plug on lifetime licenses; can't say I blame them, but it's a bit sad nonetheless. If they pull the free upgrades, I'm moving to 7-zip, it's mature enough by now imho. It doesn't have as many nice commandline options as rar.exe, but I'll live; haven't needed NTFS permissions or alternative data streams in archives, either.

As long as I can extract .rar files, subsequent packaging can be done in another tool, and having a truly open format is a definite bonus.

ThereĀ“s another one that could get very important in the future missing in the list: Nanozip
It has the best compression power and its goal is envolving to create new and higher compression algorithms compared to others. Some testfiles have become the half of 7zip in ultra - depending on the data.
You can check out an actual comparison to other archivers here.-Crush (March 12, 2011, 03:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
We'll see - as long as it's binary-only, it's uninteresting apart from academic purposes.

Stoic Joker:
Mine upgraded fine...license still shows as valid for v4.x-Josh (March 12, 2011, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same here, old license still shows as valid.

Renegade:
The slow death of the lifetime license?

Curt:
Curt: where's that from? I don't see ... RarLabs own shop listing such addons?
-f0dder (March 12, 2011, 06:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

https://shop.win-rar.com/16/purl-shop-1984-1

Jibz:
Jibz: on win-rar.com perhaps, but not rarlabs.com which I've always used.-f0dder (March 12, 2011, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Since, like it says at the bottom of the page at rarlab.com

win.rar GmbH - the official publisher for RARLAB products - handles all support, marketing and sales related to WinRAR and www.rarlab.com.
--- End quote ---

I fear that difference is merely cosmetic. And as mentioned, they appear to have removed all mention of the free upgrades for life from both sites.

Yep, does seem like they might want to pull the plug on lifetime licenses; can't say I blame them, but it's a bit sad nonetheless. If they pull the free upgrades, I'm moving to 7-zip, it's mature enough by now imho.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I might have to do that too. 7-Zip does seem like the best bet at the moment, even though I dislike the GUI (been a while since I used that last though, could have changed).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version