ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Favorite ZIP/RAR application?

<< < (16/24) > >>

Jibz:
Has there been no word on the effect this policy change will have on existing license holders? If they're not saying anything, maybe anyone who bought a license prior to Dec 2008 (or so, I'm guesstimating here) will continue to enjoy lifetime upgrades... Has anyone written to them yet? If not, I'm game...
-Darwin (March 12, 2011, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you're up to it, then I think that would be great.

Darwin:
Has there been no word on the effect this policy change will have on existing license holders? If they're not saying anything, maybe anyone who bought a license prior to Dec 2008 (or so, I'm guesstimating here) will continue to enjoy lifetime upgrades... Has anyone written to them yet? If not, I'm game...
-Darwin (March 12, 2011, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you're up to it, then I think that would be great.
-Jibz (March 12, 2011, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

OK, done! I'll report back when/if I get a response.

wr975:
I'm moving to 7-zip, it's mature enough by now imho
--- End quote ---

Everytime I really tried to use 7-zip I found limitations and weirdness...

As an example, 7-zip needs a lot of work in the split archives department to be a rival for WinRAR. It's still using binary split für split archives, which limits functionality a lot IMHO. Here's some things - just in "split archives" - WinRAR is doing much better:

* 7-zip will recognize split archives only if .001 is loaded
* no SFX fo split archives (lame! Under Win95 I had binary splitters which could create a sfx)
* No CRC for split archives
* No recovery record
* Extract a split archive (password protected, encrypted filenames) or open it in file manager. Then enter a wrong password. Since the filenames are protected it should be able to say "wrong password" (just like WinRAR if the filenames are encrypted), but that's for the 7z archive. Not the split archive. So with a wrong password 7zip will just join all files. Unasked. That's not what I asked the program to do and pretty annoying if you deal with large file sets.
* Open or extract a set with one missing file and 7-zip reports "Unknown error". Unknown error?!?! My Autohotkey scripts can do better error messages.  I guess a "File missing!" message is too much to ask for. Still, that's an improvement to previous versions, which joined all files it could find and then reported a corrupted 7z archive. Duh! Of course it's corrupted, there's a file missing. But the average user isn't seeing the missing file, just a corrupted 7z archive.
* And of course, unlike WinRAR, it can't extract any file from broken file sets.
I'm using 7-zip when compression is more important than time. I then usually split-archive it using WinRAR (store and recovery record).

If 7-zip would catch up in this area, WinRAR would be in trouble. But I don't think this will happen. 7-zip development sure slowed down.

Renegade:
I find 7-zip is quite good. Mind you, I really don't use many different options for compressing files. Whether a file is 1.6 MB or 1.5 MB is of little consequence to me.

Universal Extractor is also very good. I only use it for extracting, but it's a good utility.

f0dder:
wr975: interesting points - I almost never create multi-part volumes. So, 7-zip has dumb multi-part that splits at the output level, rather than embedding information in the archive headers? Ugh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version