topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Favorite ZIP/RAR application?  (Read 95768 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Favorite ZIP/RAR application?
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2011, 11:33 AM »
Has there been no word on the effect this policy change will have on existing license holders? If they're not saying anything, maybe anyone who bought a license prior to Dec 2008 (or so, I'm guesstimating here) will continue to enjoy lifetime upgrades... Has anyone written to them yet? If not, I'm game...

If you're up to it, then I think that would be great.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Has there been no word on the effect this policy change will have on existing license holders? If they're not saying anything, maybe anyone who bought a license prior to Dec 2008 (or so, I'm guesstimating here) will continue to enjoy lifetime upgrades... Has anyone written to them yet? If not, I'm game...

If you're up to it, then I think that would be great.

OK, done! I'll report back when/if I get a response.

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I'm moving to 7-zip, it's mature enough by now imho

Everytime I really tried to use 7-zip I found limitations and weirdness...

As an example, 7-zip needs a lot of work in the split archives department to be a rival for WinRAR. It's still using binary split für split archives, which limits functionality a lot IMHO. Here's some things - just in "split archives" - WinRAR is doing much better:

• 7-zip will recognize split archives only if .001 is loaded
  • no SFX fo split archives (lame! Under Win95 I had binary splitters which could create a sfx)
  • No CRC for split archives
  • No recovery record
  • Extract a split archive (password protected, encrypted filenames) or open it in file manager. Then enter a wrong password. Since the filenames are protected it should be able to say "wrong password" (just like WinRAR if the filenames are encrypted), but that's for the 7z archive. Not the split archive. So with a wrong password 7zip will just join all files. Unasked. That's not what I asked the program to do and pretty annoying if you deal with large file sets.
  • Open or extract a set with one missing file and 7-zip reports "Unknown error". Unknown error?!?! My Autohotkey scripts can do better error messages.  I guess a "File missing!" message is too much to ask for. Still, that's an improvement to previous versions, which joined all files it could find and then reported a corrupted 7z archive. Duh! Of course it's corrupted, there's a file missing. But the average user isn't seeing the missing file, just a corrupted 7z archive.
  • And of course, unlike WinRAR, it can't extract any file from broken file sets.

I'm using 7-zip when compression is more important than time. I then usually split-archive it using WinRAR (store and recovery record).

If 7-zip would catch up in this area, WinRAR would be in trouble. But I don't think this will happen. 7-zip development sure slowed down.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:14 PM by wr975 »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2011, 08:39 PM »
I find 7-zip is quite good. Mind you, I really don't use many different options for compressing files. Whether a file is 1.6 MB or 1.5 MB is of little consequence to me.

Universal Extractor is also very good. I only use it for extracting, but it's a good utility.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2011, 02:42 AM »
wr975: interesting points - I almost never create multi-part volumes. So, 7-zip has dumb multi-part that splits at the output level, rather than embedding information in the archive headers? Ugh.
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Just had a response from winRar:

Please note that in the past we have had several promotion campaigns, offering WinRAR version-specific licenses with significant price discounts. For users who have bought such a license, the lifetime upgrade text is no longer valid and to avoid confusion we have taken it out from our websites.

For all the other WinRAR customers, who have purchased a regular license (even if the purchase has been made in 2005 or 2003 for example), we still offer free upgrades and updates. There are no indications that this policy will change in the near future.

Clear enough!

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2011, 11:03 AM »
That is good news :Thmbsup:.

Thanks for taking the time to contact them Darwin.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Clear enough!

Yahoo! ...And thanks for getting that clarified.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2011, 01:53 PM »
For all the other WinRAR customers, who have purchased a regular license (even if the purchase has been made in 2005 or 2003 for example), we still offer free upgrades and updates. There are no indications that this policy will change in the near future.
-WinRAR
Clear enough!
...let's just hope they stick with that for a long time :)
- carpe noctem

Mattphoes

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2011, 03:06 PM »
7-Zip

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Zipgenius and 7-zip portable.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I use 7-Zip, and also have the old but free WinRAR 3.80.

Including VAT, WinRAR 4 is $52.19!
Can we have a discounted offer, please?!   :tellme:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2011, 04:06 AM »
I use 7-Zip, and also have the old but free WinRAR 3.80.

Including VAT, WinRAR 4 is $52.19!
Can we have a discounted offer, please?!   :tellme:

It's telling me AU$ 30.77 or USD $29.00. Something is wonky there. 80% VAT?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2011, 05:36 AM »
Think it's once again because the price is $29 outside Europe and €29 inside, and the euro is 30% more than the dollar. Add VAT on top of that and you have to pay quite a lot more if you're in Europe :o.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:38 AM by Jibz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2011, 06:40 AM »
-yes.
The advertised price for me is €29.95 = DKK 235 = $43, plus 25% VAT = $52.22 = €35.64
Of course, a proper currency converter would say €35.64 = $45.52, but that is another question.

2011-03-18_124529.gif2011-03-18_124615.gif

click to enlarge:

2011-03-18_123216.gif

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:21 AM by Curt »

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2011, 08:30 AM »
I tried the same, and I think their shop system is bugged.

Using an Austrian IP I get:
WinRAR € 29,95
19% VAT € 5,69
Total € 35,64   ($ 50.38)

Using an IP from USA I get (Country Austria selected)
WinRAR € 21,83   ($ 29)
19% VAT € 4,15   ($ 5.51)
Total € 25,98   ($ 34.51)

So, a different IP saves you 10 Euros? Stupid.

Guess best is to ask someone in USA to order it and you pay this person via Paypal. Then it costs € 21,83 ($29) only. I'm not sure charging VAT is okay here, since they're not shipping anything. If you want a different IP, try CyberGhost VPN (coupon code "quale157" gives you one year for free (untested))

Edit: Attached two screenshots

Edit 2: Asked Winrar about it... here's the answer:

We have different pricing strategy for different markets. Such price
differences are very common in daily business (e.g. the computer
equipment or jeans that are cheaper in US, the digital camera bought in
Asia...). That's the way things are. Markets differ and so do prices.

Well, I really like WinRAR, but this sound stupid. It's a software licence sent by email, no camera or jeans. Oh well, I'm glad I registered it years ago.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:56 AM by wr975 »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2011, 08:43 AM »
-WinRAR
Clear enough!
...let's just hope they stick with that for a long time :)

One would hope.

I spoke with an attorney recently about all these 'policy' changes where software developers are backing out of their former 'lifetime' license agreements by either changing the product's name, or simply announcing (with a suitable amount of handwringing) that they've decided to no longer honor their previous terms.

He said if the software user was legally bound by the terms of the license at the time of installation, such an after the fact policy change to the license terms could be construed as a breach of contract and could also risk running afoul of antifraud statutes. At least in the USA.

He also said the business justifications that are offered for backing out of "lifetime free upgrades" agreement have no legal relevance. If you enter into a contract, you are bound by what both parties agreed to, even if your situation changes down the road.

The only way out of that is to either offer a new set of terms BOTH parties agree to - or refund the buyer's original purchase price.

Moral: stand by your word or have your checkbook ready. And think twice about what you offer.  :'(

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2011, 08:59 AM »
I personnaly use winrar since a long time ago, for many reasons, including the quite unique recovery feature that saved me once.  On top of that, I also use OCB (one click backup) which is a clever GUI over winrar GUI.  There is a free version that is very usable of OCB, the pro is currently discounted.  The main advantage of OCB is the management of various profiles (sets of files to be archive, where, how, etc.).

The only drawback of winrar occurs when I have to use a PC where it is not installed, and there is no "official" portable version.
.merle1.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2011, 11:25 AM »

We have different pricing strategy for different markets. ...

-thanks for asking!  :up:

What goes for their answer, well, someone is in total agreement! !icon_exclaim.gif

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2011, 11:35 AM »

We have different pricing strategy for different markets. ...

-thanks for asking!  :up:

What goes for their answer, well, someone is in total agreement!  (see attachment in previous post)

Yes, WinRar does not even an attempt to justify the price difference in cost terms (companies normally say something like "cost of localisation" (adding a few language files!).

I tried WinRar, and it's an impressive product, and probably worth the money. But I haven't been able to bring myself to buy it, just because of their idiotic pricing policy.

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2011, 03:22 PM »
The only drawback of winrar occurs when I have to use a PC where it is not installed, and there is no "official" portable version.
There is "WinRAR Unplugged" > http://www.win-rar.c...m/unpluggedinfo.html

WinRAR Unplugged at a glance

WinRAR Unplugged is portable! Now you can take the best compression tool with
you wherever you go, giving you extra mobility and productivity!

WinRAR Unplugged is designed to work without installation from devices like USB/Flash drives, external harddrives etc.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Registered Ashampoo customers can right now have PowerArchiver 2010 Pro (launched December 13, 2010) for merely $8, normal price $(35 ÷25%)

PowerArchiver Pro includes:

PowerArchiver 2010
Fastest multicore ZIP, ZIPX, Unrar, ISO utility on the market, with secure AES encryption and support for over 20 formats.
Only utility fully compatible with WinZip 15 and WinRar 4.0.

PowerArchiver Backup Pro
Schedule multiple backups, encrypt them, burn them to CD/DVD and FTP them to server. Great for both advanced and novice users.

PowerArchiver Data Burner
Fast file burner with support for CD, DVD and Blu-Ray.

PowerArchiver Virtual Drive
Easily mount Virtual Drive with ISO images. No need to Burn ISOs ever again!

PowerArchiver FTP
Simple FTP client that lets you easily transfer files directly from archives.

PowerArchiver Outlook-Plugin
Compress attachments in Outlook automatically with PowerArchiver. Advanced filtering and rules for power users.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:32 PM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2011, 03:33 PM »
Registered Ashampoo customers can right now have PowerArchiver 2010 Pro (launched December 13, 2010) for merely $8, normal price $(35 ÷25%)
PowerArchiver Pro includes:

I should also mention that PowerArchiver now includes this new thing called PatchBeam:

What is Patchbeam?
Patchbeam is unique end-to-end service that lets software companies integrate patching into their own software solutions, without having to write any code at all. It is simple, convinient way to reduce your bandwith costs up to 20x and provide superior experience for customers. It is currently being tested in award winning PowerArchiver application.    

----------------------------
Spotlight: PowerArchiver
PowerArchiver is compression utility that gets downloaded around 3,000,000 times per year, from ConeXware, Inc servers alone. It has won many awards, including coveted PC Magazine's Best Buy award.
With PowerArchiver, we had standard update system which consisted of downloading latest installer from within customized interface - which is what 95% of software companies currently use..
With introduction of Patchbeam, we lowered our update costs by 20x on average and increased customer satisfaction with our 2 second updates.    

-ConeXware.Inc

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2011, 04:40 PM »

I'm a fan of PowerArchiver. For some reason WinRAR's interface didn't click with me, and back when I bought PA, 7Zip didn't have the encryption capability I needed (I think that now it might).

Lifetime upgrades for personal licenses.  Fantastic support in the forums.

Note that they're beta-testing PA 2011 right now, and they're about to change the feature mix for standard/pro/toolbox (toolbox is the new 'kitchen sink' package of features).  For 2011 the 'Pro' version will miss some features that are in the 2010 Pro version (those features are moving to the Toolbox package).  However, if you have a 2010 Pro license, you'll be upgraded to a '2011 Pro Legacy' license that keeps those features intact - essentially you'll get a 2011 Toolbox license without the BitDefender AV license that they're bundling in Toolbox for some reason (which I personally have no need for anyway).

http://www.powerarch...iver-2011-whats-new/

I assume that the standard upgrade policy also applies to the Ashampoo offer, but you might want to double check.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 04:43 PM by mwb1100 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2011, 06:33 PM »
I assume that the standard upgrade policy also applies to the Ashampoo offer, but you might want to double check.

-I don't think it does; the license box is stamped "Ashampoo Version".
But I have just now written the company and asked.