ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

is it me or is it the machine (i'm sorry for even posting this).

<< < (7/10) > >>

nudone:
all 5 'partitions' have now been scanned using chkdsk /f /r. no problems reported at all. i'm now going to leave the memtest running again but i know that will be okay too.

tomorrow i shall jump out of bed like a spring lamb, install xp anew and find that everything is working perfectly. it has to.

nudone:
just to confirm, memtest+ ran for 9 hours and did 13 passess with no errors then i turned it off.

i shall now install xp again.

f0dder:
I just remembered a thing!

Back on my P4 system, the onboard RAID stuff was slightly unstable - sometimes when processing lots of non-fragmented data (like doing a md5sum of an ISO image), I would have ~5 corrupted bytes out of ~700MB.

I only experienced the problem in stripe mode, and only on reads; although, if I copied a file from the stripe to another drive, the read could still be fast enough that I got corruption, which would of course be present in the copy. I never experienced corruption just from writes, though.

Never found a solution for it either, I thought perhaps the chipset was overheating, but having a table fan blow into the computer didn't help (although it lowered temperatures decently).

Dunno if this is any help, just popped into my mind while at work.

nudone:
i've given up trying to figure out what's wrong and have simply reverted back to the older xp install, i.e. i've not installed xp again.

i've been using the maching all day long, as i normally would, without a single problem. which is exactly what i expected.

when i next feel like sticking needles in my eye, i'll pause and then instead i'll install xp onto THAT partition again and see what happens. i don't think it's going to prove anything whatever the outcome.

all i can really do is write the problem down in the book of mysterious pc phenomenon - maybe there is some weird fluctuation going on at the quantum level that is the result of nearby unicorn being a bit sad. i don't know and until someone at the fortean times investigates i'm going to forget about it.

thanks to everyone for making your suggestions, i appreciated it.

Carol Haynes:
Glad you have everything working again ... dare I say the magic words "Daily Incremental Backups"  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version