topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Sudo for Windows?  (Read 9416 times)

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sudo for Windows?
« on: January 22, 2007, 10:41 AM »
I got into a bit of a tangle lately converting my default Win XP account to Restricted.

This is a machine where I am the sole user and like most people here, I download a lot of programs. The trouble was, some assumed that I wanted to instal for only one user, so if I installed them on the admin account, I couldn't use them properly on the restricted account. So I had to log in as admin, change the type of the user account, log in as user, install the program, login as admin again to change the account back...

Am I right in thinking I can avoid all that by right-clicking the installer and selecting "Run As"? It seems I can't do that on "Add/Remove programs, or am I missing something?
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Sudo for Windows?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:37 AM »
Running as non-admin has many benefits - you're far less likely to be hit by a virus or other malware - but many normal operations in Windows can become frustratingly difficult.

A pretty good starting point for information on how to effectively run as non-admin (and unfortunately there a ton of  stuff you need to know) is:

http://nonadmin.editme.com/

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:26 PM »
Dunno if there's an easy way to handle the uninstall - but that ought to happen rarely, so logging into an administrative account shouldn't be that bothersome. Right-clicking the installer and "run as" (or use the "runas" command from a shell) ought to do the trick for installation, I think.
- carpe noctem

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:38 AM »
Running as non-admin has many benefits - you're far less likely to be hit by a virus or other malware - but many normal operations in Windows can become frustratingly difficult.

A pretty good starting point for information on how to effectively run as non-admin (and unfortunately there a ton of  stuff you need to know) is:

http://nonadmin.editme.com/

Thanks, that sorted out my main problem -why sometimes when I installed a new alpha version of FARR, it wouldn't open pages in the browser. Turns out ZoneAlarm was popping up a confirmation request because the program had changed, but I couldn't see it because I was in a limited account!

For my situation (single user, XP Home) I think the simplest way to go is as described here:
http://blogs.msdn.co...7/158806.aspx#763277

Separate accounts, run as restricted by default, use Fast User Switching.

Any ideas on the best antivirus/firewall setup for this scenario?

If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 11:55 AM »
FTW-
Sudo for Windows (sudowin) allows authorized users to launch processes with elevated privileges using their own passphrase. Unlike the runas command, Sudo for Windows preserves the user’s profile and ownership of created objects.

from Google

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 05:08 PM »
Any ideas on the best antivirus/firewall setup for this scenario?

I don't know about the best, but here's the little bit I do know:

- I don't run a high-power firewall; I use the WinXP firewall and depend on a NAT router to keep attacks from the Internet anyway from my machine.  I suppose that this leaves me open to software 'phoning home', but right now I'm not too worried about that.  I found that 3rd party outbound firewalls were always asking me questions that I had no idea what the right answer was to and required far too much maintenance than I was willing to deal with.

- F-Prot did not run well for me as non-admin out of the box, but a tweak to the permissions for the registry keys it wanted to write to solved that problem.

I've heard the Norton AV runs OK in non-admin, except for Live Update which only works from an admin logon (that was a while ago - they may have fixed that by now).

Many people believe that if you run as non-admin then having a real-time AV check isn't needed and simply running an explicit AV check periodically is sufficient - I've heard good things about ClamAV/ClamWin for this.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Many people believe that if you run as non-admin then having a real-time AV check isn't needed and simply running an explicit AV check periodically is sufficient - I've heard good things about ClamAV/ClamWin for this.
-mwb1100
That's wrong, though - unfortunately there's been a few ways to elevate from user->admin from time to time, and I'd be surprised if there aren't a few holes left on XP... and holes to be found on Vista.
- carpe noctem

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:15 AM »
That's wrong, though - unfortunately there's been a few ways to elevate from user->admin from time to time, and I'd be surprised if there aren't a few holes left on XP... and holes to be found on Vista.

Then again, the same can be said about exploits that get past AV programs - they crop up every now and again.  I think it boils down to diminishing returns - some users believe that adding the costs and potential problems of those programs to a system running in non-admin mode isn't justified by whatever additional protection is provided.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:56 AM »
Keep in mind that some security holes exist in the OS for years before they're (publicly!) found, and some exist for quite a long time before they're fixed. An exploit in an AV program is going to be fixed ASAP.

Iirc it doesn't take anything more than the "at" service being enabled to elevate user privileges.
- carpe noctem

nontroppo

• Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 04:17 AM »
Did anyone try sudowin in the end? Their documentation is excellent and this looks to be just the right balance between lock-down and liberty.

http://www.lostcreat...ns.com/sudowin/about
http://www.lostcreat...udowin/documentation

See also: http://sudown.sourceforge.net/index.php

FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]