ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: desktop icon manager/grouping

<< < (4/5) > >>

Mandork:
I was just going to ask if anyone knew of a thing like this...

Some background:  I have a somewhat complicated directory structure, so I have made a few shortcuts to frequently used folders that are nested inside other categories and folders.  A typical path is something like this: 

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\My Documents\Me\Downloaded Articles\PhD Related\Spanish Language

I'd like to clean it up but I'm not sure how, to be honest...and I also use EndNote 7 for my references, and many of the said articles are hyperlinked to the appropriate pdf files.  I don't know if EndNote will understand to change the links if I move the folder that holds the files somewhere more sensible, like C:\Articles.  But I digress.

I was thinking that I would like to assign "zones" to the desktop so that shortcuts to system folders and non-system folders stay in a group together.  Ideally I could sort each group by name in the usual way, e.g. right click->arrange icons by name. 

Are we all talking about the same thing?  Sorry, I'm a bit dense...

jgpaiva:
Actually, i hadn't thought of that, Mandork, but the idea of having the program use the links of the shortcuts to determine where to place the icons is a good idea.
I think that'll have to be another option of this program ;)

James Sterrett:
Perry --  Thank you!

From the site's description, Desksave should do  exactly what I came to this thread looking for.   :eusa_dance:  :beerchug:

mitzevo:
lanux128, yes that's right - this is not what I had in mind  ;D
there are a few good desktop programs (like the one Perry mentioned) that keep the layout of the desktop, wallpaper, etc. allowing you to save profiles and switch between them for work, gaming, dev, etc.

but what I did have in mind was a more advanced desktop manager that allows you to sort the desktop, where certain files appear, etc.

:)

mitzevo:
and im still wanting a good desktop manager.. :P

let's recap.. I'm looking for a nice desktop application that pretty much overlays (or sits on top of) the desktop.
Think of it as an invisible grid. Now I forgot what I was  going to say.. I'll have to finish later :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version