ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: desktop icon manager/grouping

<< < (3/5) > >>

jgpaiva:
Well.. I'm not sure, but i think it might not work with 'align to grid'. We'll see.
Right now, i'm trying to sort out how to find out the positions of the icons on the desktop, let's hope someone answers my request at the ahk forum.

cranioscopical:
jgpaiva, I'm watching this with great interest  :Thmbsup:
As lanux128 very kindly pointed out, I'm looking for something specific https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6497.0 and I think you're on to how to handle it.
Sometimes I despair that what seemed to be the better OS's fade away; if only the Amiga or OS/2 had been taken up and properly developed...sigh.  Shunting icons around like this, for example, was a  piece of cake under OS/2.

jgpaiva:
Oh, I got an answer in the ahk forum, and now i know how to manage the desktop icons with it.
So, i can get started on this program! :D

Here's my current idea:
The desktop is divided into a 6-part grid, 2 lines of 3 parts. (not custumizable at first)
Each of those parts has user-defined rules, based on the file's name, filetype, size and date.
for each of the parts of the grid, a icon distance is defined such that it only fits one icon, which appears in the middle of it. When a new icon is detected, which should be in that grid, that distance reduces to half and the new icon is added. This means that each group will be easily distinguished from the next, and that there'll never be space missing in any group. (although you probably wouldn't like to put 100000 icons in one group, probably ;))
This last part is why the 'align to grid' thing would have to be off.
Also, the group count would start in the top-left group, and count left-to-right on the top row and right-to-left on the lower row. The 6th group (bottom left), would be where the icons that don't fit any rules in the other groups would be put.

So...Let's hear opinions and redefines of this concept, please! (also, feel free to find terms that make more sense then mine, so that we can talk about this in a decent way, and i can make a help file that is readable)

Perry Mowbray:
I stumbled across DeskSave and remembered this thread; not that I'm thinking that DeskSave is an answer here... just of interest:

Features of DeskSave 7.0:

* Saves the icon layout according to current user and screen resolution

* Restoring works properly, even if 'Auto Arrange' or 'Align to Grid' (Windows XP) is activated

* Accepts command line parameters

* Auto restore at resolution change or program start

* Starts with Windows, if desired

* New: Import and export function

* New: Undo after restoration

* New: Provides backups of current and saved layouts

* New: Supports English and German language

* Optional shell extension for the desktop, thereby easy access to functions without background process

* Very small size (DeskSave.exe: 66 kB, Shell extension: 68 kB)

* No setup routine, just unpack the archive and DeskSave is ready

* Easy deletion of all saved layouts and all settings, DeskSave is completely removable

* Supports Windows 9x/NT/2000 and XP

--- End quote ---

from www.desksave.de

lanux128:
good find, Perry! :up: eventhough it's not what mitzevo wanted but since it's only 82kb, it'll come in handy as a USB-app.. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version