ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: desktop icon manager/grouping

<< < (2/5) > >>

nudone:
i've downloaded and had a quick play with Desktop Organizer & Arranger and it's not really the solution to the problem as it doesn't automatically move icons for you - it only saves their position after you've layed them out. it also creates a very ugly grid on screen AND immediately after installation it said my trial period was over. so, unfortunately i'd have to say it's not a quality piece of software.

is there no way of moving icons with autohotkey?

jgpaiva:
is there no way of moving icons with autohotkey?
-nudone (January 23, 2007, 01:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
I should have thought of the ahk forums before. Here's an interesting thread: http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic8376.html&highlight=desktop+icons
I shall look into it :)

nudone:
looks promising then..?

jgpaiva:
It sure does!
What was suggested in that thread works perfectly!
If you'd like to test it, i've attached a small demo that will move any icons on your desktop to a position you define.
(for this to work properly, you must uncheck the "align icons in grid" option)

[edit] btw.. this to-be program needs a name. any suggestions?[/edit]

nudone:
good to see you've got it working.

for a name, er, i'd say 'iconmove' but i'm sure mitzevo can suggest something.

is there no way of getting it to work with 'align to grid' as that's how i keep my desktop looking nice.

edit:
i see that it does work with 'align to grid' enabled anyway.

so, will it be possible to match icons by their extensions? this could also be extended to move/copy files from the desktop to a specified folder, i.e. a file finishes downloading onto the desktop and is then automatically moved to a folder according to it's file type.

i must say the moving of icons/files/folders on the desktop is the more important feature for me. my workflow is usually just to save all 'working' documents (mainly images but could be anything) onto the desktop and then move them around the screen so i know what is what simply be its location on screen.

beyond this, of course, i'd just like to add that it would be very nice to be able to save a number of desktop icon layouts.

i'm wondering how are you going to cope with it moving icons to locations that are already occupied by an icon - the default action by the system appears to be to move the current icon down on screen. when the bottom of the screen is reached the icons then wrap around to begin positioning themselves from the top of the screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version