ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > SMF Forum Mods

Is there a better way to handle Gri's posts?

(1/7) > >>

Wordzilla:
The poll on "Do you think Gri's posts should be allowed here any more?" has been removed and I have changed to subject of this topic to:

Is there a better way to handle Gri's posts?

Original poll:

Spoilerpoll: Do you think Gri's posts should be allowed here any more?

Thank you for viewing/participating in this poll.

For a self-explanatory reason why this poll is here:
Gri's posts in this forum section (SMF Forum Mods)

To know more about Gri:
Gri's profile
Gri's own Forum - "Grivitation Space of the Earth"

To see why I do not think Gri's posts should be allowed here any more, check out my post here:
Re: First Valid Signature of Life Satisfaction

As you know we don't currently have established & published forum rules/guilelines, do you think we are in (urgent) need of such pages here?

How should we work hard to make DonationCoder forum a better place for everyone (while defending free speech)?

Please feel absolutely free to post your comment below and we need you help!  :Thmbsup:

(also please keep in mind that this poll is not created against Gri, but only his/her posts. Drama / flaming is seriously frowned upon.)

Sincerely,
Anderson
--- End quote ---

It was a bit controversial as it turned out and might not have been appropriate from the beginning. (If you have found the poll to be annoying, please accept my sincere apologies)

DonationCoder.com is growing and becoming a huge, comprehensive site. The possibility of people here (esp. moderators) facing difficult situations (like this discussion on Gri' posts) is thus increasing.

1. Do you think we are in (urgent) need of forum rules/guilelines here? (as you know we don't yet officially have them)

2. How should we work hard to keep everything here in the spirit of DonationCoder and make this site a better place for everyone?

Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

tsaint:
Mobysaurus,
let me start by saying I 100% agree with you re the nature of this community.
However, I got the idea that you had 2 basic concerns, that
1. you couldn't understand Gri's posts and
2. they weren't helpful.
(from those 2 concerns flowed the "lack of respect" you mentioned.)
With regard to 1. :Seems very dangerous in principle to ban people because you don't understand what they're saying. (I just got back from visiting family in law for 4 weeks in singapore and most of the time couldn't understand them cos the buggers only speak chinese!!) Also sometimes I have trouble understanding posts here but that's because of my lack of technical expertise most likely.

With regard to 2. Posts need not only be helpful, surely. They may be amusing for example.

Is it a case of "but they're always the same"? ... then what should the threshold be when the helpful-understandable:non-helpful-nonunderstandable ratio becomes unacceptable.
This sorta leads in my mind to a big problem.

Finally, it seems to me a matter of balancing Gri's right to post against the danger posed to the DC community. In this instance I can't see that there's a big danger. I've come across a couple of posts which gave me really bad vibes (as in geez, sounds like a mean spirited/nasty person), but the posters seemed to disappear. Gri's posts don't seem to have that quality.
Sorry I'm not more eloquent.
thanks
tony
ps
- I read some of Gri's writing - too mentally lazy to nut it all out - but got the impression that some things he/she said were quite sensible
- A thought - the DC community seems to have caring, helpful, tolerant values - doesn't banning someone somehow diminish those values?
- even if Gri were found to be on the outer limits of eccentricity, haven't we got room to adopt him/her as our very own eccentric?

Wordzilla:
Take this topic of Gri's for example:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6997.0

Most folks here might not be interested in SMF Forum Mods at all, presumably.  :P  It's true, tell Me to peruse books on assembly language or even on C++! Sure I'll get immediately turned off by all these "geeky", 150-IQ-required stuff - but I won't get annoyed because my incapability to understand them does not matter since other people will find them useful.

I don't think this theory can also be applied to Gri's posts here in the same way.

You'll see what I meant by "being (almost completely) disrespectful": always self-quoting/self-linking, providing no useful info (at least from my view), cryptic language.

Every time such a topic/post get posted, it appears on the main board page of our forum and people click it, try to figure out these cr**, get annoyed and leave. What the exact point of having such stuff in our community?

I'm a young college student, and I'm no genius; there are lots of stuff I'm not able to understand and I know it pretty well. I asked that Gri be banned not because I could not understand his posts, but because these like-spamming activities.

- Anderson

app103:
See my post here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6927.msg49672#msg49672

Then see in gri's words, that I am correct, here:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7063.msg49702#msg49702

Or maybe I should adopt gri's linking style?  :P

CodeTRUCKER:
History is repugnantly rife with the record of what happened to those that were listening to the beat of a different drummer.  Many times history eventually vindicated them and negated the validity of the accepted mores that they were persecuted under.  I am not saying that Cody's Home is that intolerant.  Given that I (an unabashed man of Faith) am so welcome here (a place of unabashed Atheism), we are certainly above the bell curve.

My concern is I am "hearing" seeds, "flavors," if you will, of types of verbiage that faintly remind me of less desirable attributes distantly akin to history's errors.  Sometimes it is not what is be measured that is in error, but the measuring stick itself.  We must tread softly.

Andersen, I admire your spunk and passion for what is so special here at DC.  Do not fret.  In time these qualities, once matured, will serve an audience much vaster than what you can now envision.  Seeds of greatness lie within you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version