ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: OCR & paste

<< < (4/7) > >>

rjbull:
Problem is Kleptomania (and every other software I saw to do this type of thing) cannot OCR a picture displayed on screen.  This would be an awesome feature... though no doubt harder.
-kfitting (September 07, 2005, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

kfitting,

I just noticed that the beta of the full (payware) version of EverNote 2.0 claims to be able to do this:

AIR-search in images: Search photos and graphics stored in your notes to find embedded typed or handwritten text. Use it for snapshots of whiteboards, product labels, in-store packaging and pricing, business cards, trade show badges, and more.

--- End quote ---

kfitting:
Looks pretty cool... I played with it a little and that is a nifty feature to have.  Unfortunately, Evernote is a huge paradigm shift for me and I don't see myself using it (though I can see where it has a lot of power!). 

As far as OCR stuff is concerned, I wish you could export the text to an RTF file.  That's what I'd really like... to be able to take a picture (or a screenshot) and turn it into editable text.  But, thanks for the heads up on that.  At least someone is developing along these lines!

Kevin

murple:
rjbull,

Unless I'm missing something, this doesn't look like OCR...
--- End quote ---

You're entirely right, that is not OCR (although one could -stupidly- argue that it's OCR performed by the user as opposed to the computer :). I would love to have a program which would allow me to select part of my screen, perform OCR on it and copy the recognized text to the clipboard. Unfortunately, coding anything involving OCR is lightyears out of my league.

Instead then, I'd like to conjure up a tiny application which allows you to "write directly to the clipboard" in the easiest, fastest most intuitive and least intrusive way. I'd call it ClipWrite.

Thank you for the program suggestions but they weren't quite what I had in mind.

murple:
ClipWrite isn't very good yet, mostly because it's slow because the code sucks and it's still buggy. But in functionality, this is what I had in mind:

#singleinstance force
;Run the script, then enter Win+C and type your text. Hitting the enter key, will hide the window and copy what you wrote to the clipboard. Ready to be pasted elsewhere.
coordmode, mouse, screen
;The codeline Enter:: means that hitting enter will close the program and copy the text. This makes it very quick to close, but it disables your enter key when elsewhere when the program is running. What is the workaround for this? I want the code in the Enter:: section to be executed only if the gui

#z::
 gosub, BuildGui
return

Enter::
 GuiControlGet, MyEdit
 if ErrorLevel = 0
  {
   clipboard = %ControlText%
   Gui, destroy
   SetTimer, UpdateGUI, Off
  }
return

#q::ExitApp

BuildGui:
 CustomColor = EEAA99  ; Can be any RGB color (it will be made transparent below).
 Gui, +AlwaysOnTop +LastFound +Owner  ; +Owner prevents a taskbar button from appearing.
 Gui, Color, %CustomColor%
 Gui, Font, s20
 Gui, Add, Text, w500 vMyText c800080, XXXXX YYYYY  ; XX & YY serve to auto-size the window.
 Gui, Add, Edit, vMyEdit
 GuiControl, Move, MyEdit, x10000 y10000 
 ;GuiControl, hide, MyEdit

; Make all pixels of this color transparent and make the text itself translucent (150):
 WinSet, TransColor, %CustomColor% 200
 Gui, -Caption  ; Remove the title bar and window borders.

SetTimer, UpdateGUI, 50
  Gosub, UpdateGUI  ; Make the first update immediate rather than waiting for the timer.
 return

return

UpdateGUI:
 MouseGetPos, MouseX, MouseY
 msgWidth = 570
 msgHeight = 120
 SysGet, MonitorWorkArea, MonitorWorkArea, %A_Index%
 maxRight := (MonitorWorkAreaRight - msgWidth)
 maxBottom := (MonitorWorkAreaBottom - msgHeight)

;msgbox, msgWidth:%msgWidth%`nmsgHeight: %msgHeight%`n`nMouseX: %MouseX%`nMouseY: %MouseY%`n`nMonRight: %MonitorWorkAreaRight%`nMonBot: %MonitorWorkAreaBottom%`n`nMaxRight: %maxRight%`nMaxBot: %maxBottom%

if(MouseX > maxRight)
 {
 MouseX = %maxRight%
 }

if(MouseY > maxBottom)
 {
 MouseY = %maxBottom%
 }

Gui, Show, x%MouseX% y%MouseY%
 ;GuiControl,, MyText, x%MouseX% y%MouseY%
 GuiControlGet, ControlText, , MyEdit, Text
 GuiControl,, MyText, %ControlText%
return

--- End quote ---

Could be used together with Jim Biancolo's PlainPaste as a sort of clipboard extension.

rjbull:
one could -stupidly- argue that it's OCR performed by the user as opposed to the computer :)
-murple (February 08, 2007, 06:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought that was traditionally known as "reading"   8)

I would love to have a program which would allow me to select part of my screen, perform OCR on it and copy the recognized text to the clipboard.

--- End quote ---

That's exactly what Kleptomania does.

I'd like to conjure up a tiny application which allows you to "write directly to the clipboard" in the easiest, fastest most intuitive and least intrusive way. I'd call it ClipWrite.

--- End quote ---

Good luck with that, but, you could always keep a small fast editor like TED Notepad running in the background?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version