ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: OCR & paste

<< < (2/7) > >>

kimmchii:
ABBYY screenshot reader can capture everything.

rjbull:
ABBYY screenshot reader can capture everything.
-kimmchii (July 11, 2006, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Does "scrape text" from othewise difficult things, like OCRing text in images?

Do you have a URL?

kimmchii:
unfortunately, it comes with ABBYY FineReader 8.0, not a separate program.

yes it can easily scrap text from images as long as it's legible.

you can send me the image and i will try to OCR it for you, see how well it can read.

kfitting:
I've tried Screen Desktop OCR... it seems like a Kleptomania clone to me.  There are about 3-4 programs that claim to do the same thing and do it almost exactly the same way!  (Even down to the program icon... Top OCR is another name that sounds familiar, but I could be wrong)  The problem is, they dont seem very reliable.  They do great with text in a window, but pictures must need to be perfect cause I've never gotten a picture to work.  I tried them on AutoCAD and got a bunch of gibberish.  I don't know, they just need more refinement or something. 

I like ABBYY's claim to be able to use a digital camera as a scanner, that's awesome... but the price tag is, needless to say, pricey! 

Kevin

rjbull:
I've tried Screen Desktop OCR... it seems like a Kleptomania clone to me.  There are about 3-4 programs that claim to do the same thing and do it almost exactly the same way!  (Even down to the program icon...
-kfitting (July 11, 2006, 08:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was astonished to see the same icon.  Dog should not eat dog.

I like ABBYY's claim to be able to use a digital camera as a scanner, that's awesome... but the price tag is, needless to say, pricey! 

--- End quote ---

Eye-watering   :(

Going to take up kimmchi's offer to see if ABBYY will read a typical image?

<later edit>        TopOCR: yes, you're right, with "camera as scanner" apparently the main purpose of the program.

Digital Camera OCR

Can your camera or smartphone replace a scanner for document capture with OCR? The answer is a resounding YES! TopSoft, Ltd, a leading developer of OCR and image processing software has created an application specifically for OCR data capture with digital cameras and smartphones called TopOCR.
--- End quote ---

I notice both Kleptomania and ScreenOCR are about 400Kb to download.  TopOCR is ten times that, about 5.4Mb.  "Shareware" in that it only runs ten times rather than {x number of days} before needing registration.

However, I have less personal need of image-reading than of things like extracing bits of Outlook message headings lists, and I imagine Kleptomania and ScreenOCR would do that adequately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version