ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

password-protect external HD (USB)?

<< < (8/10) > >>

Dongih:
Hi,

as some of you noticed in https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=7068, I'm currently looking for an external HD. Is there a way to password-protect the content? Like that I would need to enter a password before Windows is able to really access the drive after I reconnect it?

It doesn't have to be CIA-proof (although that's never bad ;D), I'm just considering putting a backup HD in the hands (or drawer) of a friend or neighbor (in case my flat burns down to the ground) and don't want him to read all of my files.

-brotherS (January 20, 2007, 06:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I would recommend - Rohos Mini Drive (http://www.rohos.com/free-encryption/).And I consider it worth of being called one of the best free encryption solutions. "Rohos Mini Drive creates hidden and encrypted partition on the USB flash drive memory. You work with the files on the hidden partition without opening a special program. Those who have megabytes of sensitive files on the USB drive and seriously concerned with a data security, cannot imagine their USB stick without the hidden volume that is created using this tool.
It doesn’t require Administrator Privileges to open password protected USB drive partition!
Easy to setup, easy to use. Intuitive USB flash drive Setup Wizard automatically detects your USB flash drive and setup an ecnrypted partition properties. You just need to provide a protection password. One click - and you can save your first file into protected volume. Encryption is automatic and on-the-fly." (from Rohos Mini Drive site) Rohos Mini has a few advantages over its analogues - the hidden disk's size can be easily enlarged; it has virtual keyboard, which makes it for a key logger impossible to trace your hidden partition password while using it on a guest computer. Two thumbs up!  :up: :up:

tomos:
Dongih, are you affiliated with Rohos?

Just wanted to point out that in the free version "there are encryption contingencies in 300 Mb"
which I believe translates to a 300MB limit
"Upgrade" costs 29.95$

Just to be clear ;)

(Dont use this type of software (yet) bur Rohos certainly sounds good)

jgpaiva:
Just a heads up: There's a very similar post about rohos on another forum, and apparently the free version turns nagware after the trial period, from what is mentioned in this other thread.

f0dder:
Humm. I took a look at the site... it sounds like it doesn't actually create a partition, but rather uses a container file. Also, it sounds like the program does need to install drivers/whatever, because of the following paragraph on their site:
The new version of Rohos Disk (1.18) includes a new utility, Rohos Disk Browser. This enables you to open and view the contents of secret partitions on a USB drive on any other computer, even if you do not have administrative rights.
--- End quote ---
- also worth mentioning is that the Rohos browser is read-only.

Considering that TrueCrypt is available, open-source, and the people generally seem to know what they do, I wouldn't even consider Rohos... although I might download it to see if they've ripped off TC :)

steeladept:

Interesting... is it possible to automate this (with AutoHotkey or however) so that I will automatically be asked for the password directly after Windows 'sees' the connected HD? I'd also like it to always get the same drive letter, so if that could be automated too it would be great :)

-brotherS (January 22, 2007, 04:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it is, and it is almost trivial using TrueCrypt containers.  I have a semi-working prototype I use for my USB Key.  I even have another script I found somewhere else (unfortunately I don't remember where) that will post an image that tells people where to return it.  The way it works is I have a tiny section of my USB key (in your case it would be your drive) that has the autorun script that posts the message image.  Behind the image, my AHK script runs and waits for your password to be entered.  Then, once you enter the password, the command line version of TrueCrypt runs and loads your predefined "favorites" which all have the same password.  The script passes the entered password onto TrueCrypt which then loads each of the favorite partitions.  In my script below, I have two that I have the script close right after they open so I don't see a big explorer window for each of them.  Lastly, I have Portable Apps run so I can choose which program to run (though I may remove that as I find I am more often going just into my data drive for a file rather than lauching any programs).

One of these days I will need to finish my script.  If anyone wants to view it to use and/or make it better now, here it is:

--- Code: Autohotkey ---InputBox , password , Enter Password , (your input will be hidden) , hide , 375 , 120if ErrorLevel        MsgBox , CANCEL was pressed.else        Run TrueCrypt.exe /a favorites /p %password% , , Hide        Sleep , 3000        WinClose , I:\        WinClose , J:\        Run I:\StartPortableApps.exe
Just change the drive letters to whatever drive(s) you want to mount from your favorites.  I will add the entire set of files in a few minutes for others to look at.  Just need to compile them in one spot again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version