topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: password-protect external HD (USB)?  (Read 44152 times)

imtrobin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: password-protect external HD (USB)?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 06:52 AM »
Truecrypt still needs admin access to run, no?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 12:11 PM »
Truecrypt still needs admin access to run, no?

No, TrueCrypt needs admin access to install, but not to run.  If you want to run it in no-install mode, this will also need admin privileges (since it has to load a device driver).

ghacks

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 03:48 AM »
I have been using True Crypt on my external hard drive for the last 18 months and it was the best choice ever. Setup is not complicated at all, the help file provides a walkthrough to encrypting the whole drive / part of the drive. You just have to decide on the encryption algorithm alone, just do some research on the subject, should not be a problem.

The best feature is that there is absolutely no speed decrease while using True Crypt. Absolutely recommended.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 06:31 AM »
See also Cryptainer from Cypherix : http://www.cypherix.co.uk/index.htm 
I use it on a regular basis with no problem.  There a limited version, that only handles small containers (lockers) which is free.

Also have a look at FolderLock, http://www.newsoftwares.net/folderlock/.  Seems interesting.

.merle1.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
truecrypt thread orphan
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Earlier it was asserted that NTFS encryption can be decrypted on a different system if one just moves some registry keys. This might be true for XP in a standalone or workgroup configuration, but it is decidedly not true if you're in a domain.

If you attach the drive to a different domain, or if you lose the domain controller, you will NOT be able to decrypt the data. And since the idea here is to keep a backup secure, one must assume that the reason for restoring the backup might be that the domain was destroyed.

So, I second the recommendation of TrueCrypt.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
truecrypt thread orphan
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 11:46 AM »
whoooooops!

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
truecrypt thread orphan
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 11:50 AM »
whoooooops!
Whooooops is right! I've never seen this thread before; how did my reply get posted into it?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
truecrypt thread orphan
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 12:35 PM »
heh - maybe a forum hiccup? ill split it off.  tell me what thread this should be a reply too and ill merge it.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: truecrypt thread orphan
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 02:01 PM »

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 08:18 PM »
I've used TrueCrypt and it's predecessor e4m ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E4M and http://www.woundedmo...g/win32/e4m202a.html ) since the early days. It has not let me down once.
Personally, I prefer creating container files in the size of whatever my backup media is and then mounting them as needed. That has the added advantage of simpler backup e.g 650 MB per CD or 4.x GB per DVD etc...
Partitions used to be more difficult to manage, however now there is a plethora of partition managent software these days, so that's no longer an issue.

Dongih

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 03:53 AM »
Hi,

as some of you noticed in https://www.donation...index.php?topic=7068, I'm currently looking for an external HD. Is there a way to password-protect the content? Like that I would need to enter a password before Windows is able to really access the drive after I reconnect it?

It doesn't have to be CIA-proof (although that's never bad ;D), I'm just considering putting a backup HD in the hands (or drawer) of a friend or neighbor (in case my flat burns down to the ground) and don't want him to read all of my files.

I would recommend - Rohos Mini Drive (http://www.rohos.com/free-encryption/).And I consider it worth of being called one of the best free encryption solutions. "Rohos Mini Drive creates hidden and encrypted partition on the USB flash drive memory. You work with the files on the hidden partition without opening a special program. Those who have megabytes of sensitive files on the USB drive and seriously concerned with a data security, cannot imagine their USB stick without the hidden volume that is created using this tool.
It doesn’t require Administrator Privileges to open password protected USB drive partition!
Easy to setup, easy to use. Intuitive USB flash drive Setup Wizard automatically detects your USB flash drive and setup an ecnrypted partition properties. You just need to provide a protection password. One click - and you can save your first file into protected volume. Encryption is automatic and on-the-fly." (from Rohos Mini Drive site) Rohos Mini has a few advantages over its analogues - the hidden disk's size can be easily enlarged; it has virtual keyboard, which makes it for a key logger impossible to trace your hidden partition password while using it on a guest computer. Two thumbs up!  :up: :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 04:27 AM »
Dongih, are you affiliated with Rohos?

Just wanted to point out that in the free version "there are encryption contingencies in 300 Mb"
which I believe translates to a 300MB limit
"Upgrade" costs 29.95$

Just to be clear ;)

(Dont use this type of software (yet) bur Rohos certainly sounds good)
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 04:53 AM »
Just a heads up: There's a very similar post about rohos on another forum, and apparently the free version turns nagware after the trial period, from what is mentioned in this other thread.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 08:12 AM »
Humm. I took a look at the site... it sounds like it doesn't actually create a partition, but rather uses a container file. Also, it sounds like the program does need to install drivers/whatever, because of the following paragraph on their site:
The new version of Rohos Disk (1.18) includes a new utility, Rohos Disk Browser. This enables you to open and view the contents of secret partitions on a USB drive on any other computer, even if you do not have administrative rights.
- also worth mentioning is that the Rohos browser is read-only.

Considering that TrueCrypt is available, open-source, and the people generally seem to know what they do, I wouldn't even consider Rohos... although I might download it to see if they've ripped off TC :)
- carpe noctem

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 12:00 PM »

Interesting... is it possible to automate this (with AutoHotkey or however) so that I will automatically be asked for the password directly after Windows 'sees' the connected HD? I'd also like it to always get the same drive letter, so if that could be automated too it would be great :)

Yes, it is, and it is almost trivial using TrueCrypt containers.  I have a semi-working prototype I use for my USB Key.  I even have another script I found somewhere else (unfortunately I don't remember where) that will post an image that tells people where to return it.  The way it works is I have a tiny section of my USB key (in your case it would be your drive) that has the autorun script that posts the message image.  Behind the image, my AHK script runs and waits for your password to be entered.  Then, once you enter the password, the command line version of TrueCrypt runs and loads your predefined "favorites" which all have the same password.  The script passes the entered password onto TrueCrypt which then loads each of the favorite partitions.  In my script below, I have two that I have the script close right after they open so I don't see a big explorer window for each of them.  Lastly, I have Portable Apps run so I can choose which program to run (though I may remove that as I find I am more often going just into my data drive for a file rather than lauching any programs).

One of these days I will need to finish my script.  If anyone wants to view it to use and/or make it better now, here it is:

Code: Autohotkey [Select]
  1. InputBox , password , Enter Password , (your input will be hidden) , hide , 375 , 120
  2.         MsgBox , CANCEL was pressed.
  3. else
  4.         Run TrueCrypt.exe /a favorites /p %password% , , Hide
  5.         Sleep , 3000
  6.         WinClose , I:\
  7.         WinClose , J:\
  8.         Run I:\StartPortableApps.exe

Just change the drive letters to whatever drive(s) you want to mount from your favorites.  I will add the entire set of files in a few minutes for others to look at.  Just need to compile them in one spot again.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 12:42 PM »
Okay, here it is, complete with all the scripts I use and even the Truecrypt executable needed to create and run the containers.  Oddly enough, it is so small that it is actually larger zipped, but it is more convenient to distribute as a zip, so that is how you get it :).  The image I have on this distributable is not the one I use, it is the one that came with the original program.  Speaking of which, I must be sure to give credit where credit is due.  AutoSplash is an AutoIt script found at http://dailycupoftech.com/usb-drive-splash-screen/.  AutoRunPro which is also used, is freeware available from GUI Computing Pty Ltd, http://www.gui.com.au and is used to automate the startup of this setup when autorun is enabled.  Now that I got all the credits out of the way, useage is as follows:

If you wish, create a jpg file that will replace the image in AutoSplash.  That is what I did as you can see here:

Screenshot - 6_6_2008 , 1_31_47 PM.png

Anyway, once that is done, startup TrueCrypt and create the containers.  Once the container(s) are created, mount them and make them your favorite.  Then edit the AHK script to suit your needs.  Note:  I edited out the explorer closing steps and the PortableApps startup, so it should run fine, just without those fancy extras.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Okay, here it is, complete with all the scripts I use and even the Truecrypt executable needed to create and run the containers.  Oddly enough, it is so small that it is actually larger zipped, but it is more convenient to distribute as a zip, so that is how you get it :)
Ummm...
TrueCrypt AutoMount.zip - 1.1meg
TrueCrypt AutoMount [folder] - 2.51meg
:)
- carpe noctem

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 01:20 PM »
Okay, here it is, complete with all the scripts I use and even the Truecrypt executable needed to create and run the containers.  Oddly enough, it is so small that it is actually larger zipped, but it is more convenient to distribute as a zip, so that is how you get it :)
Ummm...
TrueCrypt AutoMount.zip - 1.1meg
TrueCrypt AutoMount [folder] - 2.51meg
:)

Um, buggy explorer? :-[  Checked properties: You are right of course...

Seriously though, I tried just taking a shortcut and reading the folder size in Explorer; but that is just the container size, not the total size of the container AND ITS CONTENTS. :-\
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:24 PM by steeladept »

Dongih

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 04:13 AM »
Dongih, are you affiliated with Rohos?

Just wanted to point out that in the free version "there are encryption contingencies in 300 Mb"
which I believe translates to a 300MB limit
"Upgrade" costs 29.95$

Just to be clear ;)

(Dont use this type of software (yet) bur Rohos certainly sounds good)

No, tomos, I'm not affiliated with Rohos! :P I'm in-love with Rohos :-*

Yes, the upgrade costs $29,95 USD. But good software worth money investment :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:21 AM by Dongih »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 06:21 AM »
steeladept, very nice -- i think i need to start using this.  Thank you for sharing :up:

Proactive

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 01:45 PM »
Password Protect USB is a handy program to protect content on an external drive. Install it right on the external HD, not the internal one.
Password Protect for External HD

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2008, 08:42 PM »
steeladept, very nice -- i think i need to start using this.  Thank you for sharing :up:

A little slow getting this message (only 6 mo.  :-\), but I am glad you like it.  If it works for you great!  If you find it a little buggy, well maybe you can help me figure out why.  I have been using it for quite a while but never did find why it sometimes won't pass the password correctly...  To make it worse, it is very intermittant.