ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

moving operating system from one partition to another?

(1/2) > >>

nudone:
in the past i would have just jumped straight in and done what i'm hoping to do - rather than wait until after this question is answered.

i want to move my operating system from drive E (yes, drive E) to drive C. the 'drives' are just partitions on the same hard drive - which is actually two physical drives in raid 0.

i'm sure i've swapped things around in the past - on older machines, i'm just a bit hesitant to do it this time because of the raid 0 setup - i assume this makes no difference (hopefully).

i'm going to use acronis trueimage to make a backup of drive E (yes, drive E) and then 'restore' this back to drive C. now, drive E and drive E are of different sizes - i assume that acronis trueimage will be able to cope with this and leave the partitions at the sizes they are. does it matter one jot whether the paritions are logical or primary (and what about 'active' - does that meant anything these days)?

right. as i said, i'd have just done this without giving it a second thought but i see that trueimage has options for whether the drives are partitions, i.e. whether they are logical or primary. so the question is, as the operating system is currently installed on a logical partition, is this going to easily transfer onto the primary larger partition C when i do the restoring?

i don't trust this machine so i need guidance before taking action...

nudone:
i've just realised - if i do the above, aren't the paths going to cause problems? at the moment the everything has been installed using E: as the root. so if i move restore the backup onto another partition that's assigned C then isn't everything going to stop working.

or does xp know how to correct itself in this kind of situation - or maybe even acronis trueimage?

mouser:
personally i would rather install fresh than do this.
there are going to be registry entries and ini config file issues, and perhaps some license issues that trigger when you do this.

there are special programs for migrating stuff like this, but they aren't perfect, and for peace of mind i would avoid it if at all possible.  just my 2 cents - i've never actually suffered from this myself im just reporting what my understanding is.

f0dder:
Paths are going to be a problem - boot.ini, registry entries, etc. Fresh install is a lot safer, even if bothersome.

nudone:
yes, yes, good. thanks, you've both convinced me this is a terrible idea. i guess i just thought it possible because of the migration tools that are available but i also don't think i'd trust them.

i think i was getting carried away.

i'll shall reinstall everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version