ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Desktop state snapshot & recall software

(1/6) > >>

justice:
I was wondering if something like this exists: a desktop state snapshot & recall software. The functionality would be easier to describe with an example:

I am working on Task a: I have browser windows open, dreamweaver, loads of other programs. Now I want to work on Task b and return to task a later.

Can I save the state of all the programs, start afresh, complete task b, and then resume where I left off?

(=In writing this topic I realise I could maybe achieve this with Virtual Desktop software, although some software will not support multiple instances. But are there any other solutions?

jgpaiva:
I just found this while collecting urls for the newsletter.
I'd be very interested in knowing if this is possible. As far as i know, this can only be acomplished by virtual desktops (which will only last one session), or by making a disk image and then retrieving it. (i guess that option doesn't make much sense)
Anyone has any interesting ideas?

mouser:
Well, let's separate 2 ideas..
One idea is remembering which programs are open and where there windows are located.
It would be quite easy to write a program to save workspace configurations like this, and the idea has come up before here.  I think it's a good one i'd like to see someone take on.

The other idea would be to remember not only window positions but what files were opened and where you were in each, etc.  That is much harder and it may be that only by using a heavy virtual machine approach could you pull this off.

jgpaiva:
That is much harder and it may be that only by using a heavy virtual machine approach could you pull this off.
-mouser (January 23, 2007, 02:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Very good point, i hadn't thought of that option.
Although it's impracticle right now, i think that might be the solution in the future. I know i'd like it :D

tsaint:
I don't know anything about this, so it might be a silly idea, but would it be possible to exploit the hibernation or standby routines already in windows?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version