ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA Text file of Folder contents

(1/2) > >>

igors:
I know there are command lines that do just this but I'm not good at remembering where the slashes and backslashes go...
I want, with a simple click on (or drag of) an icon to generate a text file with the names of the files in a given folder.
Naturally it would be nice with settings so all the files in underlying folders would be included, or just the folder names, or ignore files with certain endings, or don't write the endings to the file...
I'm sure there are lots of tweaks that could be applied and that someone would find useful sometime or other.

jgpaiva:
Well... The basic solution for this is an alternative explorer like xyplorer.
In a very recent thread, there were some alternatives presented. I'll try to find the thread.
Here's the thread.
Apparently, the best option is the one mentioned in this post

tinjaw:
igors,

What a great opportunity to begin your exciting adventure into the world of programming!!! This would be a great first project. Create a simple batch file, called DIR2TXT.BAT that takes one argument, the directory you wish to send to the file. Then maybe expand upon it to take a second argument that is the name of the file you want the names to go into.

I'm sure many of us here would help you through it.

Hints
* Take a look at the /B option for the DIR command.
* Research "redirecting" stdout to a file.

* Look for help on the Web, like this.

JohnTurnbull:
There's a multi clipboard called "Spartan"  ( http://m8software.com )

With that running, click "Select all" then "Copy" in explorer and Spartan creates a text clip with all the selected files or sub folders, one per line. You can then paste it into Notepad (or anything else) to save.

chedabob:
I could try this. Luckily I have my C# Textbook with me XD

Edit: Actually, earliest I could get it done is Monday. I left my usb thumb drive in a computer at college, then the building got evacuated (the roof blew off), and I can't get my stuff back till monday. It just so happens that the only copy of the source code for my program that handles text files, is on that drive, and the code is also in my bag (also at college  :()

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version