topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How To Create Games Incredibly Fast  (Read 4412 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How To Create Games Incredibly Fast
« on: January 05, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Although I have been a proponent of RAD and heavy prototyping for years I can always use a little reminder every now and then. Today I got a good one from GameProducer.Net

How To Create Games Incredibly Fast
Extreme programming contains some principles that are good in prototyping: “make frequent small releases” and “leave optimization till last”. Both of these tips fit well for making prototypes or small games. I believe that making the core gameplay really fast - a prototype of a game - is a path to building games fast.

scriptedfun

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • scriptedfun.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: How To Create Games Incredibly Fast
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 01:11 AM »
This article links to Kloonigames, an AMAZING site maintained by someone who I think has two interests - making games with original gameplay, and making those games very quickly. I really like the fact that he takes the time to write down his thoughts, walking us through the design and development process that he uses. I think his goals are very similar to CMU's Experimental Gameplay Project, which I think was the project that made rapid game development very popular recently.

He made a couple of posts that provide a very helpful annotated list of rapid game development articles, which I think is a very valuable reference!
Chuck Arellano - Game Programming Video Tutorials for Beginners at scriptedfun.com