ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Window Arranger Software

(1/4) > >>

KenR:
Free software to modify windows and arrange them in a pattern to maximize desktop space.

Although monitors and video cards are becoming cheaper every day, it is still not enough space on the screen for those people who intensively use computer in their everyday work, such as engineers, financial brokers, software developers, etc. Do they need to buy another monitor? No, there is WinArranger - a simpler solution.

WinArranger helps you to use your workspace more effectively by arranging windows on your computer screen in the most optimal way. It can even hide windows borders and captions and system taskbar. Multi-monitor configurations are fully supported.

Its low system requirements make it possible to use it in your office as well as at home. Moreover, it has neat and straightforward interface, customizable hotkeys and features unique layouts which can not be accomplished by the standard means.

Key Features
Hiding of window borders and captions
Customizable number of windows per each monitor
Customizable layout for each screen configuration
Three modes for window ordering: manual, by process, by title
Hotkey shortcuts for quick operation
Rules for the flexible management of windows to be arranged

--- End quote ---

http://www.managebytes.com/wa/

from http://tech.cybernetnews.com/

jgpaiva:
Holly hack, it hates find and run!
Nevertheless, it is a good idea, Something i should thing about implementing in gridmove.
Very interesting post, ken. I'll keep this around ;)

tinjaw:
Holly hack, it hates find and run!
Nevertheless, it is a good idea, Something i should thing about implementing in gridmove.
Very interesting post, ken. I'll keep this around ;)
-jgpaiva (January 17, 2007, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use gridmove constantly. I'm not sure that auto-arranging windows would be all that useful. I like putting windows right where I want them. However, adding the options to remove borders, status bars, etc. could be useful when you are dealing with smaller windows.

jgpaiva:
I use gridmove constantly. I'm not sure that auto-arranging windows would be all that useful. I like putting windows right where I want them.-tinjaw (January 17, 2007, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, but it'd be cool if i could somehow configure the grids to have the windows automatically adjust themselves to it. Imagine for example the edge grid: the main grid could have a list of applications like this:

--- ---opera,firefox,internet explorerand the others could have something like:

--- ---Mirc,msn messenger,xyplorerSo, when you pressed a hotkey (or activated the option in the tray menu), the existing windows that fitted the grid's description would be moved and adjusted automatically.
I think it sounds like a feature worth trying. I'd love to get some feedback on this idea.

However, adding the options to remove borders, status bars, etc. could be useful when you are dealing with smaller windows.
-tinjaw (January 17, 2007, 08:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well... I just tried that with ahk and didn't get very good results, the windows look messed up.
If you'd like to try it youself, here's the ahk code:

--- ---#y:
WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A
return
#u:
WinSet, Style, +0xC00000, A
return
Just press windows + y to remove caption and windows + u to get it back.

If you like this, it's easy to make a plugin for gridmove.

jeromg:
you might also want to check this roundup 'Optimize your Screen Space with this Freeware' http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2007/01/16/cybernotes-optimize-your-screen-space-with-this-freeware/ from the great guys at CyberNet News...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version