topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Now Our Newspapers are Writing Stories to Pander to Search Engine Algorithms  (Read 4138 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Depressing story about how content in newspapers is now being modified to please the search engine optimization tricks

Last April, I wrote about how reporters and editors are beginning to craft headlines with an eye to scoring highly in search results. "Where does it end?" I asked. "Certainly not with headlines. Search engines don't stop there, so why should journalists? Why not stuff the first couple of paragraphs with search-engine-friendly terms? Hell, why not just gin up your own algorithm for giving stories an SEO tweak before they run?"

Needless to say, it's happening. And quickly. Jimmy Guterman points to an article in today's Wall Street Journal about how search-engine optimization is increasingly influencing what newspapers publish and how reporters write. After describing how British newspapers are buying AdWords keywords to promote particular articles. the author, Aaron Patrick, writes...

Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 04:51 PM by mouser »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not to mention they're crowding the pages to add links to the social bookmarking sites, which I found a bit stupid