ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How long should a software time trial be?

<< < (4/6) > >>

mouser:
Let me suggest that one assumption you made is probably wrong (in my experience).

This part is exactly right:
looked at the 100% anytime option, but didn't choose it because I thought that it lacked a potential for "weeding out" uncommitted customers.  What I mean by "uncommitted" are those people that are just toying with "some new thing" and if your site/product happens to be on their screen, "it's time to play!"  They will d/l it and install. Yes, there is certainty that a percentage of these will be real customers, but a very, very small percentage.
--- End quote ---
''

By far most of the people who download your software wont keep it.

But you have to realize that these people won't be buying it and asking for a refund - they won't be buying it at all.

Very very few people will go forward with a full purchase of a low-priced software program and then bother to ask for a refund.  By the time they get to the purchase point they are almost certainly going to keep it.

And again even if your refund makes it more likely that some people who are not quite as committed will make a purchase and then change your mind - it is hard to imagine (for shareware) a case where that increased ease of buying+refunding doesnt work in your favor.  For every "uncomitted" person who is tempted into buying it because of your generous refund policy, and then returns it, 10 more fence sitters who end up satisfied will bite the bullet and be willing to make a purchase because of the extra security they feel in ordering something that they know they can return and that you stand behind.  Just my 2 cents.

mouser:
Getting back to something mentioned earlier.. I have actually considered using this AND ONLY THIS on dc as a way to differentiate people using free versions vs. supporting member donations:
TitleBar reminder
--- End quote ---
That is, I wonder if the DC policy could be simplified and be "enough" of an incentive if we simply had a "please donate" titlebar text, and no other limits or expirations, etc.  I'm not sure.  Im also not sure if the non-donators would find that too obnoxious even though all features would work without any popup nags or expiration.

Important note: I do not consider the aim of DC to be completely in line with this article or discussion about "maximizing" conversion to paying customers.  Our goal here is much more balanced - we aren't looking for policies that strictly maximize profits.  That's not to say the finances are unimportant to us - not at all.  We are very interested in figuring out policies that encourage generous donations from people who can afford them, but we are much more concerned with not excluding users than a standard business is, and we are much more concerned with figuring out a way for people to pay what they think a program is worth and not any more.  But with those caveats, the issues are still relevant for the software made on DC and so I am keenly interested in hearing people's views on these issues.  I think as a business person you also have to ask yourself if you really want money from customers who aren't happy.  There are plenty of businesses in this world that are based on making money from people who are unhappy with what you do but feel like they have no choice or made a mistake and have to live with their mistake.  Speaking personally I don't want to be involved in such a business.

mouser:
ps.
For more info on DC perspective on some of this stuff, see my article from last year:
"When Do Users Donate? Experiments with Donationware: Ethical Software, Work Equalization, Temporary Licenses, Collective Bargaining, and Microdonations"
https://www.donationcoder.com/Articles/One/index.html

CodeTRUCKER:
Thanks for the link.  I'll give it a look-see.

CodeTRUCKER:
I have some questions, like if there is "DC Software" "who is "DC?" Actually, I am not really worried about that because I know more about you guys and I have confidence.  I would like a clarification about what is "DC Software?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version