ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How long should a software time trial be?

(1/6) > >>

KenR:
This is an interesting question to me. I usually know within minutes to hours if I am going to buy something. I think the longest I have ever gone without buying something I eventually did was a week. I'm curious to see what others think. KR

Every once in a while, one of the forums dedicated to the business of software spits up a question regarding the proper duration for a time trial. It has become somewhat commonplace to expect a 30-day duration from a trial version. Some software shops package that up with functional limitations, some don't, but the time trial has proven to be the goto guy for use in a demo release. 

But the question remains — how long should the time trial be? Is 30 days something that is used because it has a proven track record, because it's what customers expect, or because developers, after focusing for months or years on building the actual product, simply decide to stick with the norm without giving the business side of their business a second thought?

I'm tempted to say the last one would pull the most weight. Such as the case with user interfaces, payment processing, pricing structure (don't get me started), and even customer support, thought given to the time trial seems to take a back seat…especially with shops releasing their first application.

--- End quote ---

http://www.antair.com/blog/2007/01/09/software-time-trials/

from http://microisvjournal.wordpress.com/

brotherS:

http://www.antair.com/blog/2007/01/09/software-time-trials/
[ Invalid Attachment ]

-KenR (January 16, 2007, 06:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks, that was a good read!

And always remember: Test, test, test!

mouser:
It's interesting.. but then im not sure just because a certain policy would get the most buyers means its the best thing to do..  other factors might be: how happy are people once they buy it.  how much do they regret buying it later?  the people who don't buy - what's their attitude about your company in the future?

brotherS:
It's interesting.. but then im not sure just because a certain policy would get the most buyers means its the best thing to do..
-mouser (January 16, 2007, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's an important 'first step'.

other factors might be: how happy are people once they buy it.  how much do they regret buying it later?  the people who don't buy - what's their attitude about your company in the future?
-mouser (January 16, 2007, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
You can combine that with a "money back" guarantee or whatever to minimize negative side-effects. :)

mouser:
very good point about the money back guarantee.  i think then you are getting into the territory where i am more comfortable.

when you think about it, if you have a money back guarantee, say one without an expiration, what you are basically saying is that they can have an unlimited trial period, but they have to 1) show good faith that they will buy it if they like it, and 2) you dont lose sales due to people just forgetting or losing energy, and 3) people with money to burn will probably end up keeping it while people who find themselves short of cash can always get a refund.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version