topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Why I Stopped Using Five Strategies for Getting Things Done  (Read 11992 times)

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's a cool acticle about why several productivity strategies weren't working.

One of the biggest reasons why especially IT-people, bloggers and geeks are drawn to GTD is it's possibility to tweak and play with the system. For some reason, the 5 phases of GTD invite to find, install and play with all sorts of online and offline applications. Because it is mainly build around lists, contexts and the notion that you have those lists with you, mobile applications talk with desktop applications, online web 2.0-esque startups built around lists and the likes.

But over the last two years I am into GTD, I must say I have yet to find the perfect system. And you know what? I don't think I will ever find. If I were a very literate person, I would insert some smart Buddha quote here about the journey and the destiny, but forget that. I want to talk about five systems I have tried myself and why I stopped or will stop using them...

from http://slackermanager.com/
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:18 PM by mouser »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why I Stopped Using Five Strategies for Getting Things Done
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 02:20 PM »
Sadly, this summarizes my experience with GTD in particular and other organization techniques in general. If I have someone else telling/advising me how to organize my space and time I get hopelessly mired in the thrill of "figuring it all out" and in the possibilities for trying out an endless list of software options to allow me to "maximize" my effectiveness and efficiency. Buffalo chips! My solution to getting things done for myself has beeen to knuckle down and get things done (pun intended). Period. Without any aid other than a calendar, notebook, and a pen. I combine this with the tasks and calendaring features of Outlook 2003. So far, I have been doing pretty well.

I'd LOVE to say that I benefit more from trying out various methods for organization, but they just distract me from whatever task I was hoping to get done!

Rant over, and out :-[
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:23 PM by Darwin »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Why I Stopped Using Five Strategies for Getting Things Done
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:45 AM »
He has some good points!

Among other things, I tried mind maps too, but somehow I always tend to end up putting info in a simple .txt or .doc file, where I can most easily and quickly edit it, remove stuff or move stuff around.

EDIT: I just realized I want a better editor: https://www.donation...index.php?topic=7041
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:48 AM by brotherS »