topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: a 3D game that is only 97kb!  (Read 24854 times)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: a 3D game that is only 97kb!
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 12:15 PM »
The first published system requirements of Assassin's Creed were so insane, and there was so much bashing on the Internet, that it's only natural they tried to best them. 3 gigs? WTF, not even other open world games requires that (Crysis, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., etc.)

Its a good game. but whenever someone in the world make a bootable PC OS Game Console, that would probably insane  :)

Actually, Acer is thinking in something along the lines.

Going back to the topic at hand, I finally played it a few days ago (after weeks of sitting in my HDD), and while it's a nice demo, I had to restart the game 4 times due to bugs, I kept getting trapped in the most weird places.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Lashiec, where'd you get the demo and what is your systems like?

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 09:43 PM »
"Bootable game OS" for PCs wouldn't make sense, really... console's strength lies in uniform hardware and very capable CPU/GPUs.

Agreed. However, there is one case where it would make sense. When you don't need all the fancy accelerated stuff. For example children's games. I can see an excellent case for having a bootable DVD, linux kernel, wine, and tons of games for kids. You could have one option to load the whole OS into RAM so you can eject that DVD and insert a game CD/DVD. A second option would take advantage of an attached secondary optical drive for the game. Make it open source and unleash it on the edutainment industry.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 12:59 PM »
Lashiec, where'd you get the demo and what is your systems like?

If you're referring to .kkrieger, well, you know where to get it ;). If you talk about Assassin's Creed, AFAIK Ubi Soft didn't release any demo for the PC for now.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 09:29 PM »
Lashiec, my thoughts were on Assassin's Creed and yes UbiSoft hasn't released any demos and even the retail release date is being pushed to April.

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Ubisoft didn't yet released the official Assassin's Creed for PC. what I mean is the "hijacked" version of assassin's creed for PC(aka assassin's creed RELOADED PC in google).

about the "Bootable game OS". what i mean here is if somebody to provide a 3D game engine for it. not some games exist in windows nor linux. the idea i wanna put is not limited for gaming OS only.. much more, on functionality of interaction and simplification with custom application restricted only on what you desired to only operate.  I know that you can disable explorer.exe in windows startup and only load the specific application you want(e.g: ERP system) - that is to simplify it. but having it a custom application, if the IDE is available to play with, why not?!. i mean, it is more on "hobby" to spend some time and not making money/business out of it. it is not about competing to other game console but to open the possibilities for it in PC.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:56 AM by psionics »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 11:19 AM »
You could start with Knoppix or BartPE and whip one up pretty fast. 99.9999% of the work would be getting people to use it.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 06:58 PM »
There isn't really any point for "bootable applications" on the PC, except for a very few special purposes (like firewall-on-a-floppy and the likes). Won't work for games, because the PC hardware is so diverse, and it doesn't make sense, either.
- carpe noctem

psionics

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • freestyle (nunchaku) forum.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 06:47 AM »
  :-[