ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Areca Backup - Now there's no excuse!

(1/2) > >>

KenR:
Backing up drives is one of the topics that's often posted about. Here is an open source, very nice looking backup program that might meet your needs in this area.

Backup Engine Features :
    * Archives compression (Zip format)
    * Archives encryption (Triple DES & AES encryption algorithm)
    * Source file filters (by extension, subdirectory, regular expression, size, date, status, usage)
    * Incremental / Full backup support ...

Graphical User Interface :
    * Archives content explorer
    * Archive description : A manifest is associated to each archive, which contains various informations such as author, title, date, description, and some technical data.
    * File history explorer : Areca keeps track of your file's history (creation / modifications / deletion) over your archives.
    * Backup simulation : useful to check wether a backup is necessary ...

Command-Line Interface :
    * Areca comes with a command-line interface which can be used for backup automation..

--- End quote ---

http://areca.sourceforge.net/

from http://www.all4you.dk/FreewareWorld

brotherS:
Thanks, that one looks good. I would be interested if anyone with more backup knowledge than me could compare it to other good backup tools.

f0dder:
...but it's java >_<

tomos:
...but it's java >_<-f0dder (January 14, 2007, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
does that simply mean painfully slow (I'm thinking of OOo)
or is there worse?

f0dder:
I haven't checked it out, but my experience with java apps is that they're generally pretty much on the heavy side, and the GUIs are laggy and klumzy. I suppose for a backup tool, though, the running speed shouldn't be too bad, since you're going to be file I/O bound. Guess it's worth giving it a shot.

PS: yes, I'm biased - I dislike java programs even more than I dislike dotNET programs. Probably wouldn't be so bad if the ms<>sun case hadn't happened, and we still had the faster&lighter MS JVM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version