ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

can a file or folder structure make a pc crash at random?

<< < (5/5)

f0dder:
Which brand is the drive?

You might at least be able to get it RMA'ed...

nudone:
it's a samsung, just over 12 months old. i had to replace an exact same model drive a few months ago, that drive was only 6 months old (it's discussed somewhere on the forum).

the drive that i've already replaced did show overheating using SMART so there wasn't any problem getting it replaced (it only took 48 to send and get a new drive sent out to me which i thought impressive).

this current faulty drive doesn't show any SMART faults and without getting the manufacturers drive util to test it further i'm not going to have much chance getting it replaced (i shall try again later to get the drive util thing to work on the drive).

could the problem i've been having with this drive be related to other parts of the machine? the problem definitely only occurs when accessing this drive (i've 4 drives in the machine 2 of which are in raid 0), could the problem be due to RAM or simply because of the data on the drive.

i've defragged the drive - no problem, done a virus scan - no problem, copied data to and from the drive - sometimes a problem sometimes not. formatted it twice, oh dear, there's just no point going on with this thing.

if the drive is at fault then i'm definitely not buying samsung again - and i wouldn't want it replaced with yet another samsung.

the computer 'appears' to work perfectly well - excep for things related to this drive.

to be honest, i'm not too concerned about the drive being faulty - i'm more worried that the symptom indicates there is something else wrong with the machine. i don't want to have to start swapping out ram or the motherboard - things i've nothing to compare with anyway.

f0dder, thanks for still showing an interest.

f0dder:
Hmm.

I'd try moving the drive to another controller, and see if the problems still show up. Also, I'd try putting another drive on the controller your "faulty drive" is on - better be a spare drive though; even if I think it's unlikely that a flaky controller could damage a drive, you don't want to take any chances.

nudone:
i'd thought about the controller idea - i don't have a none crucial sata drive i can test it with. at the moment all the important stuff that was on the faulty drive has been moved to the other (identical model) 250 gig drive. i'm going to have to start backing everything up to dvd - hate to think how long that's going to take, but it's got to be done. damn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version