topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to recover a lost configuration  (Read 5450 times)

cjseymour

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How to recover a lost configuration
« on: January 13, 2007, 12:02 PM »
Mouser,

How do I recover a painstakingly crafted LBC configuration that seems to be lost.  When I start I get a "There are no LaunchBars/Docks or Tray Menus currently visible in the configuration file" message.  I can see a bunch of files in the LBC directory, but don't know how to put the pieces back together.

I saw a previous post where you suggested taking backups.  Is that documented anywhere?

Your help is appreciated,

-Chris

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to recover a lost configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 03:54 PM »
LBC makes extensive backups automatically as well - it is very very highly likely that your configuration file is just sitting in that directory.  (I mean i really went overboard making sure the program keeps good backups automatically and also is very careful about saving good versions before overwriting older versions).

SO, first step: copy or zip up your entire LaunchBar Commander directory, just in case.

Now,
When you get this message:
"There are no LaunchBars/Docks or Tray Menus currently visible in the configuration file"
It doesnt meant your configuration file is gone, just that it's not actually "loaded"
(because LBC lets you have multiple launchbar files open at the same time - this is a confusing issue and i may try to improve this a bit so it's less scary!).

So just go to preferences, and go to the menu File -> Open File.
Now if you remember what you named your configuration file, just open it.
If you don't, just try sorting by date.

You will be loading a .mcf file.  The DEFAULT name of the default launchbar is MyLaunchBar.mcf, so that will be the name if you didn't reload it.

You might see a bunch of backup files as well - that's why i suggest you might sort by date.

Let us know how it works out for you!
And feel free to contact me by email if you need more help ([email protected])