ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Paperless Home: Need document management software

<< < (2/12) > >>

brotherS:
Interesting user story: http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/11/02/personal_document_management.html
-jeromg (January 13, 2007, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
I didn't read it completely yet, just want to comment this:

Some advice when buying a scanner: get one with a document feeder in addition to the flat glass plate. Come April 15th when you have a long tax return to scan, you want to just push a button and let things go without intervention.

--- End quote ---
He got a point. I remember procrastinating about scanning documents for two reasons:
- I piled up various stuff on top of the scanner (it *is* flat...)
- scanning several pages forces you to wait while every document is scanned, regular household scanners aren't that fast*

Getting a real document scanner like the Canon DR-1210C would fix both problems!

You can't pile anything on top and it scans 12 pages per minute! :-*

Downside: it's expensive :o

So, who here has a real document scanner already?

*if this could be(come) a problem for you too depends on how busy you are, how much you need/want to scan, and on how patient you could be, just watching a scanner in action

brett:
Hi BrotherS

So, who here has a real document scanner already?
--- End quote ---

We use a Brother, of course.

But we did not get a dedicated document scanner.
We purchased a Brother MFC All in One because it was cheap. cheaper then most dedicated scanners.
But it does Scan, Print, Fax, and has a Document feeder.

something like this

Brett

cranioscopical:
But we did not get a dedicated document scanner.
We purchased a Brother MFC All in One because it was cheap. cheaper then most dedicated scanners.
But it does Scan, Print, Fax, and has a Document feeder.
--- End quote ---
I had a dedicated scanner but its feeder died at one point and all that was available locally, and RIGHT NOW, was an all-in-one Canon Multipass F80 with a feeder.  With that installed I never bothered to fix the dedicated job, which is now (one hopes) a bunch of recycled material.  The Canon's not nearly as fast as dedicated hardware but time's not a critical issue for me as long as it'll work unattended.  My typical multi-page job is only 30 pages or so.

mouser:
I've always liked PaperPort, and i like NigelH's idea of buying an older version to save some money, since i'm not sure the new features are all that needed.

brotherS:
brett and cranioscopical, thanks to much for pointing out the document feeder feature!

This Brother MFC-240C (http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/modeldetail.aspx?ProductID=MFC240C) costs about €140/$180, that's just a third of the Canon DR-1210C document scanner I mentioned above! :o

Sure, its automatic document feeder (ADF) just holds 10 pages and it's slow in comparison, but that would be totally OK for the price.

Having a nick like the one I have, it's tempting to buy this Brother MFC... 8) Does anyone of you have any experience with alternatives to this one?

The current version of Paperport is 11 and is really powerfull, but it is expensive (+$150)
http://www.nuance.com/paperport/
-NigelH (January 13, 2007, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've always liked PaperPort, and i like NigelH's idea of buying an older version to save some money, since i'm not sure the new features are all that needed.
-mouser (January 13, 2007, 09:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
Damn, PaperPort looks really good! Why wasn't there ever a (mini) review on DC? :(

Do I get this right? I would scan all the pages as single files (by using the automatic feeder - see my previous post) and then use PaperPort to combine multi-page documents, right?

Seems so, I just found this in the PaperPort How-To Guides (http://www.nuance.com/paperport/howtoguides/#):
Stacking
You can stack a group of PDF files into a single PDF.
Move the files to be stacked to a single folder.
Select the files in the order you want them in the stack.
Click the Stack button  and choose Stack in the drop-down list.
or
Choose Stack in the shortcut menu.
Source files do not remain after stacking – make copies before stacking if you want to keep the sources.

--- End quote ---

EDIT: Just now I stumbled upon http://www.scanstore.com/Hardware/scanners.asp - lots of info, mostly about expensive scanners though.

EDIT #2:
Holy sweet FSM, I just saw that the Brother MFC-5440CN is currently being sold for a price even less than the other MFC!  :up:

Its automatic document feeder (ADF) holds 35 pages, which is very cool because I just read about this PaperPort feature:

The 'PaperPort - Scan' dialog box lets you apply subjects, authors and keywords to documents. This dialog box appears for each separate document scanned, one after the other. Scanning more than one document at a time is enabled by checking the 'Blank page is a job separator' option in the Scanning Profiles under the SET options tab.

--- End quote ---
So I would just have to put blank pages in between the pages I want to scan... awesome! :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version