topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Just cancel the @&@$(!#*! Account!  (Read 5364 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just cancel the @&@$(!#*! Account!
« on: January 07, 2007, 03:20 AM »
128206-2502p119-1b.jpg

It took me less than 5 minutes to sign up for a NetZero dial-up Internet account. But after canceling that account, I spent a week trying in vain to reverse a charge that the service levied after my cancellation request.

I had to call NetZero a total of five times, holding for several minutes and then enduring long and fruitless conversations with company agents every time I called. According to the NetZero representatives that I spoke to, I needed to talk to a supervisor to arrange a credit, but none was ever available when I called. In the end, I gave up and let NetZero keep the money.

To evaluate how difficult canceling an online service can be, I signed up for and then canceled 32 accounts, each at a different site. About a third of the services in my sample made the seemingly simple goal of canceling very hard to achieve (see the "Big Hassle" entries in "Want to Cancel That Service?").

Not all of my experiences were negative. Services such as a monthly New York Times TimesSelect online subscription and a monthly Consumer Reports Online account took only minutes to cancel and without lingering strings. But some others made me feel as though I'd joined the Sopranos' family business: Once I signed up, there was no quitting!

http://www.pcworld.c...28206/printable.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 08:53 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Just cancel the @&@$(!#*! Account!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:21 AM »
love these kinds of articles  :up:

ps. i edited the post to upload the image instead of linking to it remotely (everyone remember to upload images instead of linking to them - much better that way)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Just cancel the @&@$(!#*! Account!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:34 PM »
  Your a lot kinder than I am, I would have filed a complaint with the FTC and the BBB.  I've had money returned to me after filing with the FTC on several occasions.