topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FatBlog: "Joel, Please Get Off of Software"  (Read 4819 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
FatBlog: "Joel, Please Get Off of Software"
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:12 AM »
I link to Joel Spolsky essays quite frequently (I find them often insightfull even if Joel can be much too self-promoting for my tastes).
Well member f0dder on our forum posted a link on a recent forum thread, to a blog that rips into Joel with some serious skill and humour.  For your consideration is this terrific autopsy with commentary on an essay Joel wrote on hiring people:

Am I the only person who’s sick of watching people like Joel On Software spew obvious nonsense? Starting a business is about not throwing away your budget. Most of us don’t have a several year old blog full of other nonsense to convince VCs to recapitalize us just because we lit our first budget on fire to watch the pretty dollars burn.
>“The Aeron chair has, sadly, been tarnished with a reputation of being extravagant, especially for startups.“
Because it is, you douche. It’s an EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLAR CHAIR. YOU DO NOT NEED AN EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLAR CHAIR.

What can I say other than I have a new blog to read on a regular basis. Great stuff.
ps. In this long and very entertaining piece there are also some nice book recommendations.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FatBlog: "Joel, Please Get Off of Software"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 04:15 AM »
ps.
can someone find me a blog that rips into Robert Scoble like this? If there is such a thing as karma, there are bound to be 20 or 30 of them.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FatBlog: "Joel, Please Get Off of Software"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:51 PM »
ps.
can someone find me a blog that rips into Robert Scoble like this? If there is such a thing as karma, there are bound to be 20 or 30 of them.

Your wish is my command.  ;)

But this will have to do for now, till I have more time to do some real digging: http://www.thosebast...eyword/Robert+Scoble

:D