topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for Helpdesk/Incident Tracking software  (Read 7565 times)

sipsake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for Helpdesk/Incident Tracking software
« on: December 30, 2006, 03:05 AM »
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone might have a recommendation for a good incident tracking software.

I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles, just a simple way to track support tickets. Oh, and a knowledge base function would also be helpful.
Southern DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for Helpdesk/Incident Tracking software
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:25 AM »
I'd like to hear recommendations for this as well..

(there are 2 main classes of these tools: Server programs and Local PC programs, might be nice to hear recommendations for both).

Arjen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Codingspace.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 06:36 AM »
I'm using Trac at work for bug tracking and am very happy about it. It's simple and doesn't get in your way, it has a wiki, and best of all, it integrates with the Subversion version control system.

psych

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 01:58 PM »
I work for an IT support company, and we use microsoft crm 3.0
it runs in the browser, and can be accessable from anywhere (we haven't currently got this set up, and use a terminal server when onsite).

I should note we are a microsoft partner.

There are some annoying quirks with the sysem.
First and foremost being that since it runs from the browser, it will never seem as fast as a true desktop application.
Secondly, it can be customized to your situation. this is a blessing and curse. It isn't an out-of-the-box type application. Youwill need a web developer to set it up.
however it can be tailor-made to your needs.
Running from a server, means centralised backups, and no loss of data due to a client pc..

Personally the slowness drives me crazy, and i find myself logging cases in keynote, and then filling in the crm cases later when i get a chance.
I'm thinking of switching to mylifesorganised due to it's outlook integration. We get a lot of support calls through email.

i believe sharepoint 2007 should improve this product a great deal though, in speed, features, and most importanly intuitiveness.

We are also an altiris partner (www.altiris.com) and are looking at their helpdesk system, which seems similar.

This maybe too complex for your needs, but if anyone wants some info, drop me a line.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 02:01 PM by psych »

Ruffnekk

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Uhm yeah...
    • View Profile
    • RuffNekk's Crypto Pages
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Well I'm working with SAP software at work, but that's tailor made. I did however find quite a comprehensive list of these kind of tools here. A lot of freeware entries and some sound very promising. Might be worthwhile to check it out.
Regards,
RuffNekk

Programming is an art form that fights back.

sipsake

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 03:13 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions psych and Ruffnekk.

We're also an Altiris partner, but the cost of implementing their helpdesk was prohibitive, and since we only need an extremely basic system, it would've been overkill for us.

Thanks for the link, Ruffnekk. A few of those do look promising. I'll post info on any of them I try.
Southern DOS: Y'all reckon? (Yep/Nope)

johnfdeluca

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 06:51 PM »
I use Mantis BugTracker http://www.mantisbt.org/.  The reason I first looked into this was because it's what is used at donation coder.  After giving it a whirl, I tried many others and came back to Mantis.  It's Server based and meets the needs quite well.

Many Many Features are here:  http://www.mantisbt....hp/mantisbt:features

I used it to manage inquiries, bugs, enhancements, etc.  I use it with very little customization.  It took all of 10 mins to set up.  I can provide more info if you have questions.

Arjen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Codingspace.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 02:55 AM »
Many Many Features are here:  http://www.mantisbt....hp/mantisbt:features

Wow, Mantis has a lot of interesting features I didn't know about. It even has Subversion (or CVS) integration! For those also interested, this article describes how to do it.