ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Best Archive Manager Review: Suggestions

<< < (7/12) > >>

mouser:
ah fair enough, you're right, but jpfx is right too -
in fact i think winrar strikes the perfect balance.

when you open up an archive it looks like you are just looking inside that archive, but you can pop out to the parent folder, which can be useful actually.  i actually find it a perfect balance.

i was more obecting to the zip programs that have the full dual panel folder tree, etc.

i actually like tugzip a lot, and it has options how you want to view it, whether you want full browser mode or the compact mode i prefer.  here is the full browser mode screenshot that shows what i was saying i don't like: http://www.tugzip.com/screenshots/main.jpg

zridling:
Carol, I must say, that's a kickass system you have! Like mouser, I've never thought of using WinRAR's Explorer capabilities. I was playing around with a new Windows Explorer replacement and it's funny how those programs want to do everything for you and toss your other apps — open pictures, associate archives, FTP!, back massage, and so on. Almost every time, they don't do them well either.

Carol Haynes:
Just a shame it seems to be my ass that gets kicked a lot.

I set up like this to allow me to separate out Audio, video and graphic apps so that they can run without virus apps (no internet) etc., and avoid all the usual crap that accumulates under Windoze and slows the system down. They all share the same Temp folder and PageFile too, and data storage is common to all installations.

Trouble is that even though I spent hours planning and setting up my ideal system, I still install almost everything on drive C: too - so day to day stuff still runs like swimming through treacle and my "ideal" parallel installations get under used.

Good in principle though ;)

Back on topic ...

I realise WinRAR has pretty minimal explorer capabilities, but I still personally find it unnecessary. I would prefer it is when I double click on an archive it simply shows the contents. The ability to move up to the parent directory doesn't really serve any purpose to my mind, and it gets confusing if you navigate about, forget where you are and start adding files to the archive.

OK maybe I am simple minded, but I would prefer to see the archive contents only (possibly with a tree view option), and if I want to add files etc. I just drag them in from Explorer.

It is possible to work like this, so I am being over picky probably, but it seems a more logical and less confusing approach to my simple mind.  :-[

zridling:
Good points, but as I'll show in my review, the best programmers aren't building archivers right now. There are several classes of programs that are delegated freeware, and this is one of them. Even the WinZip people (Venture Capital) wondered why no one ever paid for it. Every archiver has some good qualities, but for the most part, it's who is minimizing the poor quality features that appear to be the best.

If that's too cryptic, it's because I've been up almost 24 hours and my brain is drying out.

zridling:
Note that the freeware QuickZip was added to the list today (Tuesday, 23rd).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version